Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: The Midnight Sky
Harrison 02:34 4th May 2021
I just watched The Midnight Sky on Netflix. It received a lot of bad reviews last year, but personally I thought it was very good.

The Earth has suffered an extinction event, with all life on the surface dead or dying. George Clooney is the last survivor of a remote arctic research station. He tries to contact a space ship heading back to Earth from a mission to a newly discovered moon of Jupiter which is inhabitable and the last best hope for humanities survival. But it's too late and he has to try and warn them not to come home.

It is slow paced, but then it is depicting an extinction event on earth and a space ship travelling back from Jupiter. It's a very bleak and depressing story, but it does have an emotional ending. Worth watching in my opinion. Just don't expect something like Interstellar or the Martian.
[Reply]
J T 03:30 7th May 2021
I hated the last Sci-fi spacey film I saw Jurj Clooners in (Solaris) as it was slow and boring
[Reply]
Harrison 11:02 8th May 2021
The original 1972 Solaris film was better. Midnight Sky isn't anything like that, and isn't really a space film, but it's far more realistic in how the space ship is depicted.

One recent space film I enjoyed more then I thought I would was Passengers. Apart for the Jennifer eye candy the cinematography is really nice, especially in 4K.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:37 8th May 2021
Just as Dire as Solaris for me. - Clooney in Space my Ass!

I did enjoy Passengers tho. Worth another watch imo. - D/Ling 4K version as I write. - Tonight's Movie is....

Btw, old now but.... Event Horizon was always a good film for me.
[Reply]
Harrison 04:45 9th May 2021
Event horizon was brilliant.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 06:46 10th May 2021
Passengers was Ok, nothing special.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:06 10th May 2021
I just really liked the cinematography
[Reply]
J T 02:37 11th May 2021
I quite liked Passengers. Did you see Arrival? I really enjoyed that one.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 06:03 12th May 2021
I thought Arrival was quite boring, didn't enjoy it too much, the trailer looked great, but the movie was a letdown, for me.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:35 12th May 2021
Arrival was slow, but the story was far more complex than it initially seemed, with the timeline revelation at the end very clever.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up