Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Mars Perseverance Rover Landing
Harrison 20:26 18th February 2021
Did anyone else watch the Mars landing this evening?

We watched it live via the YouTube NASA live stream. Great to experience and quite nervous to watch. Brilliant to see the first images sent back.

Looking forward to tomorrow to see the higher resolution images we should receive.

Only thing is. As great as this all is, to me it didn't feel like we have progressed that much in 30 years.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:57 19th February 2021
I think we have bigger problems to deal with at the moment.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:14 20th February 2021
Yeah H. - Didn't see it Live but have seen some of the Footage.

Maybe I didn't grasp the story right, but isn't this mission collecting Samples for return to Earth?

Or is that the next one they have planned?
[Reply]
Harrison 01:52 21st February 2021
That's correct. It has a core drill that can go 2m into the ground to collect samples. It's also got an advanced lab built in to test and analyse the samples, but once it's finished with them they will be packaged and dropped off.

A later vehicle will be sent to Mars to retrieve them to bring back.

The rover also has a lot of other equipment onboard including 20 high res cameras and for the first time microphoes to send back audio from the surface.

This rover is also massive compared to previous ones. Weighing 1 ton and made of Aluminium, it's taller then a person and as large as a big car. It also has far longer daily range of 200m, which might not sound nuch, but this is being charged from solar panels each day. Previous rovers could only move about 10m a day.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:18 22nd February 2021
???
[Reply]
J T 01:56 11th March 2021
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
What, like choosing which retro handheld to buy, or complaining about the price of computers that we were never going to buy anyway?
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:28 21st March 2021
Originally Posted by Harrison:
That's correct. It has a core drill that can go 2m into the ground to collect samples. It's also got an advanced lab built in to test and analyse the samples, but once it's finished with them they will be packaged and dropped off.

A later vehicle will be sent to Mars to retrieve them to bring back.

The rover also has a lot of other equipment onboard including 20 high res cameras and for the first time microphoes to send back audio from the surface.

This rover is also massive compared to previous ones. Weighing 1 ton and made of Aluminium, it's taller then a person and as large as a big car. It also has far longer daily range of 200m, which might not sound much, but this is being charged from solar panels each day. Previous rovers could only move about 10m a day.
Not quite a Big car H, more like the weight of a small compact car.

But what really excites me about this....
Homo Sapien now have a piece of their Technology on it, 249.91 million km away from where it was manufactured. - All we gotta do is cut down the Travel time to days instead of months, which is currently six to eight depending on the time of Orbit.

Do ya think we'll ever stop f'king up this lump of Rock called "Earth" before we ever get the chance to Terraform another Planet.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:11 21st March 2021
Originally Posted by J T:
What, like choosing which retro handheld to buy, or complaining about the price of computers that we were never going to buy anyway?

[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:29 21st March 2021
Looks like you just got Flipped J T!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up