Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: LCD 'Burn in'
Stephen Coates 15:22 15th December 2018
Has anyone here experienced 'burn in' on LCD displays?

I noticed some recently on my Dell U2410 monitor. I frequently have a browser window open and an IRC window open, and the edge of the browser window seems to have caused a noticeable permanent line. It wouldn't really be noticeable with a photo as a desktop background, but I had 'Windows 2000 Blue' as my background for a good few months this year, and it was noticeable with that. To fix it, I rearranged my windows for a few weeks and it seems fine now.

I've noticed LCD burn in more frequently on public LCDs. Until a year or two ago, our local bank had an outdoor ATM with a nice green CRT. They replaced it with a modern LCD variant, and after not very long the 'FREE CASH WITHDRAWALS' stays visible even when the screen changes.

[Reply]
Harrison 10:12 16th December 2018
I've not had it on any of my own, but then modern LCDs don't suffer as much, and all my screens shut off after 15 mins anyway.

I used to see bad burn in on the plasma screens at the cinema years ago. The ones they use to list the film times. But not recently.

ATMs are probably the worst. But the newer larger colour screens don't seem to get burn in, but they show adverts now, so the images change a lot when not being used.
[Reply]
J T 22:27 16th December 2018
I used to care about it, but not much now - unless it's really severe I just ignore it. But on my main screens (work computer basically) I move windows and bits around quite a lot just as my style of working so it's probably not happening - at least I haven't noticed it.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 07:45 17th December 2018
I normally use a screensaver on my PC. They aren't usually necessary with LCDs, but I like them anyway for the graphic effects. Although for the last year or so I've been using Trinity Desktop Environment, and I haven't been able to get screensavers to work in that, so maybe that has contributed.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up