Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Should I build a new PC?
J T 20:50 8th March 2021
Every now and then I think about building/buying a new PC but as I have a laptop from work, I don't have any need and it'd really be a waste of money and effort.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:57 16th March 2021
I installed the new Samsung NVMe SSD. Here's a quick benchmark I ran in Gnome Disks:

nvme_ssd_benchmark.png

Not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

In contrast, here is a ridiculously slow Kingston USB3 flash drive which I also purchased recently:

I have been assured that a USB3 flash drive should be substantially higher than 5MB/s.

kingston_usb3_benchmark.png
[Reply]
J T 21:37 16th March 2021
A slow USB stick is incredibly frustrating. We had somehow ended up with some 32gig USB2 sticks and it was taking so long to copy things to them that I gave up and made someone else drive to the shop to buy some decent ones.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 06:42 17th March 2021
The speed of your USB stick is indeed quite scary, thinking about which speeds are indicated on their site.

Here's my Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2

Here's my Patriot Viper VPN100 M.2 2TB

I'm quite impressed by the Patriot I have to say.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:24 18th March 2021
I gather a lot of those Kingston Data Travellers are pathetically slow. I didn't realise that when I bought it. I actually just got one of the cheapest the supplier had. I'll keep it around for use with older machines.

I tried to copy a live Linux ISO onto it yesterday. After waiting over 5 minutes at the initial boot screen I gave up and wrote the image to an SD card in a USB2 card reader.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:48 19th March 2021
USB3 memory sticks should easily be getting more than 15-20MB/s. I have some that are around 35-45 MB/s from Sandisk. And read speeds should be 60-150MB/s.

Remember though this is only sequential data, such as one large video file. If you copy lots of little files it really slows everything down.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
3 4 5 6 7
Up