Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Should I build a new PC?
Stephen Coates 09:46 28th February 2021
I haven't considered that. I think it would be a bit overkill for my needs. I'd rather just have a decent sized HDD/SSD in my main PC. Said PC is accessible over the network anyway.
[Reply]
J T 03:56 1st March 2021
If the data is important, do you have a backup solution in place?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 08:34 1st March 2021
Yes, I just duplicate the drive onto another drive every so often. So any backups may not be 'up to date', but if there were to be a catastrophic failure, it will only be recent stuff that gets lost.
[Reply]
J T 22:57 1st March 2021
I have nothing else to contribute, but I would like to just say how awesomely you followed up on the DP joke
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 12:17 2nd March 2021
I thought you'd like it. What is interesting, is that I actually have a DisplayPort cable. I have never used DisplayPort. I think the cable came with my monitor, but I never used the cable because I use DVI.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:37 6th March 2021
I originally never bothered with Displayport when it first appeared, sticking with DVI and then duallink DVI for higher resolutions. But DP is actually a great solution as the connectors are quite small and support higher resolutions.

I ended up having to use it as I wanted to connect 3 monitors and only had 2 DVI ports on the GPU, plus a couple of DP and an HDMI.

Easiest for general monitor connecting these days is definitely HDMI though. It's pretty much the standard for most displays now.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:19 6th March 2021
I'm using my 75" TV, so DP is not an option, only HDMI.
[Reply]
Harrison 19:58 6th March 2021
HDMI is actually identical in terms of signal to DVI, which is good for computer output, plus you can also send audio which is a big bonus. It's also useful for older computers because you can easily buy a cheap DVI to HDMI connector to convert the connection and run it into an hdmi monitor or TV.

If there is one limitation of HDMI it's lower resolutions and aspect ratios. It can be hard to force hardware 4:3 aspect ratios unless it's built into the hardware.

DPs latest 1.4 spec is quite interesting though as it supports 8k 60Hz with HDR.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 21:00 6th March 2021
I've ordered a 4TB Seagate Ironwolf drive and a 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

I was going to get a 2TB drive but its not substantially more money to get 4TB. That should last me a while. The SSD is a PCIe type rather than SATA so should in theory be faster than my current SATA SSD.

I also got a 32GB Class U1 SD card for £3.99. I didn't realise SD cards had become so cheap.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:54 7th March 2021
Samsung EVO SSDs are really good. I've been using them as boot drives for years. Very reliable and fast.

Yes HDDs and SD cards have really dropped in price.

I picked up some 128GB Sandisk Ultra U1 cards for about £13 each recently. And when I bought my last HD the 4TB external WD drives were not much more than the 2TB. I'm glad I did now as it's the external drive for my PS4 and it's already 3/4 full!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
2 3 4 5 6 7
Up