Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Retro Grooves Vol. 1
Stephen Coates 14:33 10th May 2017
I just got a copy of Retro Grooves Vol 1 by Anders Enger Jensen.

I heard some of his music in 'The 8 Bit Guy' on YouTube, and this particular cassette featured in a couple of videos by Techmoan.

The guy posted the cassette in Norway on Monday and it turned up this morning. Don't think you can get much quicker than that for Airmail.

I'm really enjoying listening to it .

Link for purchasing and downloading: http://eox.no/product/retro-grooves-vol-1/

IMG_4877_crop.JPG
[Reply]
Harrison 16:43 11th May 2017
Nice retro tape deck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Teho 18:06 11th May 2017
Have to give you a thumbs up for following 8-bit Guy, everyone into retro hardware should do the same!
[Reply]
J T 02:15 19th May 2017
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Nice retro tape deck.
That was my first thought also. Nice pic Steve, taken at a good angle.

I know I used to tease you a little Steve, but (sometimes) there is something lovely about retro hardware. Physical, mechanical buttons that are actually connected to moving parts and need a little bit of effort to depress, switches that engage with a positive click, dials and gauges that turn and sweep. So much more of a tangible experience, with a feeling of actually being connected to the equipment and involved in the experience, in this case of listening to a tape.

[Reply]
Harrison 02:29 19th May 2017
Plus such equipment will just keep on working, compared to a lot of the badly made rubbish today.

I've also got an Akai separates system I bought new in 1990, so now 27 years old! Still works brilliantly and was quite future proof at the time with digital interconnects between components and fibre optic connection between amp and cd player. Thy amp even has optical and coaxial digital inputs. Still a great system.

You definitely get what you pay for, but these days can pick up some amazing vintage hardware for very little money.

[Reply]
Stephen Coates 19:43 19th May 2017
I got the Akai cassette deck about 7 years ago on eBay for about £30. Its very nicely made and works very well. When I got it, I put some new belts in. The potentiometers inside for setting the bias, EQ, and levels really need adjusting properly as they aren't right (its probably not very noticeable unless you are listening specifically for issues). I had a fiddle with it last year, but it needs a bit more tweaking.

Its from around 1977 so its getting on a bit. I don't know the exact original price, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would have been in the region of £200.

To complement my 'vintage' stuff, earlier this year, I got a Pioneer CT-656 for about £70 on eBid. This is a 3 head machine with electronic controls and a VFD display. Very nice. Dates from around 1990 ish.

On that note, does anyone else here use eBid? If memory serves I first heard about it on this forum. I've only ever purchased two items on there; this Pioneer deck, and a Cumana floppy drive back in 2007. Funnily enough, I bought the Pioneer deck almost exactly 10 years after the Cumana drive, with no purchases in between. I have at least looked at the site from time to time though.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:54 20th May 2017
I've never used eBid.

[Reply]
J T 06:28 24th May 2017
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
I got the Akai cassette deck about 7 years ago on eBay for about £30. Its very nicely made and works very well. When I got it, I put some new belts in. The potentiometers inside for setting the bias, EQ, and levels really need adjusting properly as they aren't right (its probably not very noticeable unless you are listening specifically for issues). I had a fiddle with it last year, but it needs a bit more tweaking.

Its from around 1977 so its getting on a bit. I don't know the exact original price, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would have been in the region of £200.

To complement my 'vintage' stuff, earlier this year, I got a Pioneer CT-656 for about £70 on eBid. This is a 3 head machine with electronic controls and a VFD display. Very nice. Dates from around 1990 ish.

On that note, does anyone else here use eBid? If memory serves I first heard about it on this forum. I've only ever purchased two items on there; this Pioneer deck, and a Cumana floppy drive back in 2007. Funnily enough, I bought the Pioneer deck almost exactly 10 years after the Cumana drive, with no purchases in between. I have at least looked at the site from time to time though.

30 quid is a decent price. I might look around for some old separates, currently I don't really have anything other than (pretty crap) headphones or (cheap) phone docs to listen to music. Lady T's car has a good sound system in it though.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:54 25th May 2017
I tend to listen to most music in my car these days. It is about an hour drive to work though so 2 hours a day in the car.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 11:03 25th May 2017
There's quite a lot of old high quality stuff going cheaply. Well worth keeping an eye out for.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up