Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: A quick question to the Brits here. Daily Express, sensationalist news paper?
Ghost 18:41 6th August 2016
I have a question for the British members here, while looking for genuine news articles I came on the Daily Express website that had an article on a subject I was interested in.
However when I checked out other news categories such as science I came across some of the most ridiculous headlines and stories I had seen outside a parody website.

Is the Daily Express some sort of sensationalist news paper that warps certain news out of proportions or into something it is now? (I am a bit confused, that is why I am asking)

Things that made me say "Wuh...?"

* Bacteria on Eastern Island discovered that holds secret to immortality.
* First head transplantation planned.
* We are all but brains in a jar of the laboratory of an evil scientist. (now this one may be based on the philosophical exercise and thought experiment, but I think they meant it genuine)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science
[Reply]
Harrison 22:30 6th August 2016
The simple answer to your question is Yes.

The Daily Express is a mainstream daily tabloid newspaper in the UK, but often exaggerates or sensationalised stories it covers.

As a great example every time we have any sign of snow due in the UK they publish a front page story saying it will be the worst blizzard in 100 years and we will be trapped in our homes for weeks.

Regarding the head transplant, that is actually true. A Russian doctor is developing the ability to do this for the first time. Imagine someone was in a really bad accident and lost limbs or worst then a total body transparent would give them back their life. It would be more of a psychological issue though, for the patient to accept they now have someone else's body. Many wouldn't be able to accept this reality.

They have already successfully managed 2 complete face transplants, so they are getting closer. The hardest bit would be working out how to attach the spine and nervous system

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:07 7th August 2016
I've never read it myself, so I can't really comment, but judging by the number of words in CAPITALS on that page, I'd say its probably not to be taken too seriously.
[Reply]
Ghost 23:23 7th August 2016
Ah thanks for answering Dave.
There were a couple of articles under science that really made me raise my eyebrow and think "Really?"
I knew some subjects from genuine scientific websites and I have heard about the head transplantation experiments but the Daily Express made it sound if there had already been successful results.

My immediate question is "Then why have we not heard of this? I think something like that would be really big news."

It does make me wonder if I should take any articles regarding developments and politics in other countries serious then.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 07:51 8th August 2016
@ Ghost

They're all sensationalist in one way or another & is why I don't read them.
[Reply]
Harrison 08:09 8th August 2016
It's the same with Brexit at the moment. They are the ones scare mongering people into worrying about the future of the UK and giving the little people a greater voice than they deserve.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Kin Hell 19:25 8th August 2016
It's the same with the world all over though guys.

News: Sensationalised BS @ it's worst. - Always trying to get the Dirt on what ever they report on. - It's like Flies around dog shit on a real HOT sunny day, ....any time of the year!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up