Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Amiga games you would like to see remade?
cicobuff 14:22 18th April 2007
I would like to see a modern day update of the classic Wings game, that game has stood the test of time well, with an improved 3D graphics engine, tweaks in gameplay a modern day WWI dogfight game would be awesome.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:53 18th April 2007
Well they did do a remake a couple of years back on the GBA, but sadly it was more of a straight port than a true remake. I also didn't think it was as good due to much of the game using a closer in view so you had less chance to react to action as you couldn't see it as soon.

Another that suffered a similar problem was the GBA port of Speedball2, where your view was again too close to the player to see and react to the gameplay.
[Reply]
Yanni Oblivion 15:08 18th April 2007
I hear that Soccer Kid is also on the GBA, now that was one hard game to complete fully.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:40 18th April 2007
I heard that too, but I've not played the GBA version. But owning a PSP I can run all the original Amiga games using PSPUAE so that's much better
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 19:21 19th April 2007
A 3D version of Defender of the Crown could be pretty good.
Could update the conquest part to a realtime warhammer type effort.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 07:33 20th April 2007
I think that a Defender of the Crown remake is needless, because I think that the game was crap anyway. The only good thing was because it was one of the first released games for the amiga and had awesome graphics for that time, but nothing more, just a dull game.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 17:35 20th April 2007
What about Midwinter and Flames of Freedom?

Although not the greatest of games, what with Midwinter being able to be completed very quickly (if you knew the secret) but they were, imho, the first of the modern-style fps games, with more than just the bog standard duck and cover combat. Certainly I think they are akin to HALO, but with a ten year head start.

I would certainly enjoy playing them again, especially as the element of recruiting civilians to help in the task does not seem to be a feature in the modern-styled games.

Add to it a create-a-civilian mode and I think you could be looking at solid gold fun.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:46 20th April 2007
Midwinter was a great game in its day and a new version using current technology would be great.

That is a very good point you made about recruiting civilians. The one element of all FPSs like Half Life 2 is still the lack of true interaction with the surrounds and the people in it. You do get to trigger pre-scripted events in most modern FPS games but you don't get to truly interact with the inhabitants of the gaming world. There have obviously been some attempts at this with 3D adventures such as The Nomad Soul or Deus Ex, but I do think it could be done even better with the feeling of being in a real living and breathing world. Even games such as Oblivion haven't come close to this yet with that game's NPCs being more like moving activation points for pre-scripted events and terminals for transactions.
[Reply]
Submeg 22:14 20th April 2007
Wings for sure....I really want a graphically superior version of that game, would be absolutely awesome...I love that game!
[Reply]
Agram 15:45 22nd April 2007
I think spiritual successor is a better term than a remake. As apart from the game setting, any remake is unlikely to share anything else with the original game. And is just recycling the name to rake in some recognition sales.

The non-commercial re-makes of games are the sort I enjoy personally, e.g. Eye of the Beholder 2 (not tried this one yet). That don't alter the original much (maybe touch-up the visuals slightly and improve sound), but are basically ports to modern hardware.

Nostalgia is based on our originally experience of the game. Time may alter our memories and expectations when we come to replay an old game, but this is the testing grounds of how classic a game is.

Replaying old games might disappoint now a days if scoring on visual style, and the lack of other modern features we're so used to. But a lot of old games still have that special something (gameplay, accessibility, quickness to complete, etc) that fuel our desire to replay them. I fear the commercial remakes will lack this ability in years to come, for me anyway.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up