Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Serious GMail problem
Demon Cleaner 17:33 4th September 2015
Since 30 minutes, my GMail inbox is getting flooded with spam. I didn't do anything, I just disabled one extension in Firefox, and after the restart of the browser, I noticed that I'm getting loads of spam in my GMail account.

In 20 minutes, I already reached the 500+ mails mark, this is going quite fast, and I don't know now how to stop this, I guess soon my inbox will be completely full.

ALL the mails are about me registering at some site, and that I now need to complete my registration.

I'm completely lost, I don't wanna lose my account and create a new one, as ALL my stuff is registered with this mail account now, creating a new one would mean changing addresses at every single site I'm registered, plus devices and stuff.

Anyone had this problem?

(Just by typing this message, inbox reached now 700!!!)
[Reply]
Tiago 17:45 4th September 2015
Never hapend to me.
Those mails are all equal? Do they come from same address? You can make a rule to move/delete them
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 18:20 4th September 2015
It seemed to stop now, well hopefully. Could have been a Google problem?

The mails all had the same purpose, but for different probably fake sites.

Perhaps I was also panicking too much

(Btw, they keep coming, but at a much slower rate)

EDIT: ****ing shit, it starts again!!!

Another thing is, I got also several PayPal mails, last one is David Griffin sent you £1,450.00 GBP. And actually when I'm looking at my PayPal account, I can see it pending there!!? Problem is that I wanted to pay something now via PayPal, but I can't, my VISA details are missing, plus I have to resolve one problem, which now obviously is:

Originally Posted by :
Sep 4, 2015: You have received €1,800 or more in total payments to your PayPal account in this calendar year and are therefore approaching our annual receiving limit of €2,500. PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they reach this limit. Please go to the Resolution Centre for more information on what you need to do.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-002-562-879-454.)
And if I want to resolve the problem at PayPal, I always get an error. I can login, but if I click on resolve, I get an error and I'm returned to the login page.

Btw, a second PayPal mail said that I just opened a U.S. bank account:

Originally Posted by :
U.S. Bank Account Added
Dear demon records,

Congratulations! You have successfully added a U.S. bank account to your PayPal account.
WTF!!!
[Reply]
Harrison 12:22 5th September 2015
I seriously expect malware or account hacking has taken place

First I would download malwarebytes. Then disconnect from the internet and do full system scans.

If it find anything write down what the infectious are, then remove them. You can then Google what they do later.

Do you know the account holder whom sent you that money? If not then contract PayPal to investigate.

Also I would contact googlemail asap because that many emails that quickly could indicate you are being directly targeted by a sort of denial of service attack. Bombarding an account or connection with a lot of data.

What did you uninstall before this happened.
[Reply]
Teho 13:14 5th September 2015
Could it be that accessing your paypal account is the goal of this individual and that the mass spam mails is an attempt to bury the real paypal mails that would warn of you of what's going on? I think I would have temporarily blocked my visa and anything else associated with paypal until I had sorted that bit out at least.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:04 5th September 2015
I was going to say the same thing. Remove your bank and credit/debit card details from PayPal until you get this sorted. Then contact PayPal to report the strange activity.

This is very strange indeed.

Recently I had an email from PayPal saying someone attempted to log into my account from a location I've never been to. They made me reset my password, and also confirm my identity with an additional form of id. I scanned my passport and used that.

This is also a reason I don't use gmail or any other webmail as a main account to register anything or do anything serious. I only use my own private email addresses and server for these.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:03 7th September 2015
Originally Posted by Harrison:
<snip>

This is also a reason I don't use gmail or any other webmail as a main account to register anything or do anything serious. I only use my own private email addresses and server for these.
That's the way H.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:18 7th September 2015
Here's the story, what happened.

I told you that I got 3 mails from PayPal.

1st. That I removed my credit card
2nd. That I opened a U.S. bank account
3rd. That some guy sent me money

Spam started coming. But it came to my old email address, the one I use for PayPal login, and thus also as an alias gor my Gmail account. And all the spam I got, was clearly sent to that email account, and not to my Gmail account.

After I could then eventually login normally to PayPal, I noticed that I have 33 cents on my account, my credit card was indeed removed, and one bank account was added, some Tatra bank from Slovakia. I can of course remove this bank account. But will it now still be safe to use this PayPal account? I'm using my prepaid VISA card for the PayPal account, which cannot go into minus, and I also discharged it completely this once happened. And anyway, the credit card was completely removed from my account.

I contacted PayPal, but instead of answering to my question, I got now 40 options to chose to help to resolve my problem, which is absolutely not helpful at all, because like 50% of the questions match my case.

Spamming seemed to have stopped, had 440 inbox mails on Friday evening, today I had 5 more, which were actually my normal mails. I think I have to call PayPal.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:05 8th September 2015
Opened a case in PayPal's resolution center yesterday and got a response today, they want to refund me 1852,37€, although no money went off my account at some point?
[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:36 9th September 2015
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Opened a case in PayPal's resolution center yesterday and got a response today, they want to refund me 1852,37€, although no money went off my account at some point?
I expect they would have to do that to cancel the instructions of false digital payments made to you. Otherwise, their Audit would suggest more money had passed through their hands which they couldn't actually claim ownership to & you never actually received the funds either. .....You were "Hacked" Sir.....
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up