Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: NAS problems
Harrison 00:08 12th June 2015
In order to work the drives need to be as big or bigger, correct? If you are unsure regarding 4TB Reds the what about getting a 6TB one?
[Reply]
Kin Hell 07:42 12th June 2015
@ DC

Ahhhh! - I wasn't aware of this NAS box problem & tbh, I'd rate Synology over Qnap if only for the chassis design.

I'd still be trying a WD Red.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:30 12th June 2015
Originally Posted by Harrison:
In order to work the drives need to be as big or bigger, correct? If you are unsure regarding 4TB Reds the what about getting a 6TB one?
Why would I pay more for a 6TB which will not be used by the NAS anyway? If in the coming years I would then change disks, I would always get 6TB ones, and I would end up in years having 12x6TB disks?

@Kin Hell
You still don't get what I mean

I heard that NAS (in common, any brand in the world) would have problems recognizing disks which are smaller than all the others in use. That's why I mentioned the 3726.02GB. If I buy a disk which f.ex. has physically 3699.50GB, it would be a problem for any NAS, as that disk is smaller, not 2TB smaller, but just a bit smaller than ALL the others. But then I read that it's not necessarily the size that matters, but the sectors. If that differs too much, a NAS might have problems with it, thus the best would be to get the exact same disk model, just to be on the safe side.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:40 12th June 2015
As WD probably manufactured your Hitachi drives they are most likely to be the most similar in terms of sector size and overall formatted storage allocation. If you can't find the information on sectors for your existing drives to compare there should be data sheets somewhere online for them. An alternative could be for you to try to directly contact WD or Toshiba (the new owners of Hitachi brand) and see if they can provide the information. Companies will normally be very helpful if you make up a good story such as a need to replace drives in a lot of NAS units (so they start to get interested in a potential bulk order).
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:23 12th June 2015
@ DC

Just try a WD Red.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:41 18th June 2015
New disk is in, rebuilt is running.

Got the same disk like the ones I have for 120€, so I just took that one, and I also send my damaged one to HGST today, warranty is valid until the 29.06.2015, so I might me pretty lucky. If I get it replaced, then I will have one "on stock".

Btw, I checked the sectors for the Hitachi, it says on the label on the disk itself, and it has the exact same amount than the WD Red, not one single sector more or less, so basically these seem to be very similar or even same disks?
[Reply]
Harrison 16:01 18th June 2015
They won't be the same disk because of how the Red drives are manufactures for extended always on up time specifically for NAS use, but in general I would have guessed sectors would be the same on the same size drives, and even more so considering Hitachi drives were manufactured by WD until they sold them on to Toshiba.

BTW, was it an old stock drive you managed to get then, as I thought they were no longer made?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:14 18th June 2015
A bit more than 1 year old, has 15000 hours power-on time, just like all of mine.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:19 19th June 2015
Really. I would only want brand new drives in a nas.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:12 19th June 2015
Well, a brand new one could be damaged too, already saw that many times, when f.ex. it's not well packed when they ship it. At least this one was running fine, so I know it's not broken. It has 15000 hours "only", with a lifespan of 1000000 hours, that's 1.5% of its life.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up