Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Windows 10 free upgrade
Demon Cleaner 07:46 23rd March 2016
Got it just now, looks very nice. Starting to put Windows 7 first now.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, what the heck???

I tried now for 4 hours to install Windows 7 from USB stick without any success.

Tried 3 different USB sticks (1xUSB3.0 & 2xUSB2.0), one SD card, plus 2 different HDDs, but nothing works. Formatted them in different ways, made them bootable, used several Windows 7 programs that make your stick bootable, tried with and without UEFI setting in BIOS, nothing! The furthest I came, was when it actually starts, but straight away after pressing the INSTALL button, it gives you an error message:"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click ok".

Some say that using a USB2.0 stick in a USB3 port doesn't work, problem is that I only have USB3 on this laptop. Anyway, I tried a lot of stuff I read online, nothing brought me further.

Tried also with Windows 10, but I get a blue screen with some error message.

Sometimes the Windows Boot Manager says that there's problems with the USB device connected and gives me an IO error.

I cannot install via DVD, as there's no drive, and I don't have an external one.

I gave up now, as I don't have a clue what to do? Totally puzzled

- - - Updated - - -

So I mailed the guy from the shop, and he told me that I need to include a USB3.0 driver on the USB stick, as the laptop only has USB3.0 ports, and Windows 7 doesn't support USB3.0

Originally Posted by :
If you have tried to install Windows 7 using a USB Flash Drive onto a system that only has USB 3.0 ports you might have found that you couldn’t get past the Language Select screen of the installer...

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:17 23rd March 2016
Here's a good tutorial on how to install Windows 7 with only USB3.0 ports:

http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how...usb-3-0-ports/

Doing it at the moment, hopefully it will work.

UPDATE: Well it didn't. Have probably to try with different drivers, tried Intel now, don't know which USB I have on my motherboard.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:51 24th March 2016
Works now, used Win Toolkit to patch the ISO with the USB3.0 drivers.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:50 25th March 2016
Glad you got it working in the end. Bit of a nightmare. I had a similar issue when I first tried installing Windows 10. Got to the loading files for install screen and about 20% progress and just hung there not doing anything. This was from a DVD iso on a dvd-r. Changed to a USB stick and it installed first time. So was either a corrupt disc driver or the iso from m$ was corrupt.

You can see why many home users get stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:22 25th March 2016
The nightmare continued for a bit, but now it's working.

Because once in Windows 7, my USB3.0 ports didn't work again. So no way of installing the drivers. So I allocated the 2nd internal HDD and copied the drivers from the DVD to a stick from my other PC.

Then I booted Windows again from the stick, and chose Repair Windows. There I have the opportunity to run cmd. Then I copied with xcopy /e all the contents from the stick to the internal HDD. After rebooting I was able to install the drivers from the HDD. Did USB3.0 and LAN first, and it works fine now.

What a journey
[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:47 27th March 2016
I bet the GTX980m would have installed no problems!

Joking aside, yeah, .....almost unbelievable. Really glad you sorted it though & don't forget to put a review up.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
3 4 5 6 7
Up