Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Windows 10 free upgrade
Harrison 14:57 30th December 2015
Don't upgrade a home edition as you will be stuck with the home edition of 10. You can upgrade an unofficial copy of 7 ultimate to 10 just fine if it was correctly activated by the Microsoft Toolkit (not the Daz activator) and shows as genuine. Once upgraded to 10 you will have a genuine copy of 10 Pro.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:39 3rd January 2016
What's wrong with the home edition of 10?
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:14 3rd January 2016
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Don't upgrade a home edition as you will be stuck with the home edition of 10. You can upgrade an unofficial copy of 7 ultimate to 10 just fine if it was correctly activated by the Microsoft Toolkit (not the Daz activator) and shows as genuine. Once upgraded to 10 you will have a genuine copy of 10 Pro.

Really??
[Reply]
Harrison 10:14 5th January 2016
Yes. I've done it for a few systems. As long as Windows 7 is showing as genuine it will upgrade ok to an official licence.

Regarding Windows 10 Home vs Pro. Home has some useful things missing such as Hyper-V virtualisation so you can run virtual machines such as XP or Linux. It supports network domains, remote desktop and bitlocker which home doesn't. It also supports scheduled updates and delayed update system reboots, whereas home forces system updates as soon as they are pushed to the system and forces reboots. There are many other things missing from home but these are the most important.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 04:40 12th February 2016
There was no way anymore that I could update my Windows 7 anymore, not in Windows itself, neither with Bitdefender, so I decided yesterday to upgrade to Windows 10, and to my surprise, it didn't make a fresh install, but instead I still have everything running like before, it even kept my desktop wallpaper.

So far everything seems to run fine, although I only spend 10 minutes with the new OS, the only thing that I don't like so much, like usual, is the new design, doesn't look good in my opinion. But I guess there's some way to make it look like Windows 7 again?
[Reply]
Harrison 08:23 12th February 2016
Yes that is quite cool that once complete everything remains the same. It's the first Windows update that has achieved that so well.

Initially I was a bit unsure about the flat windows look compared to the older 3D look of 7. But I soon grew to prefer it. You can configure a lot and it's worth working your way through the settings.. especially the security as you will want to check some things are disabled.

[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:32 28th February 2016
Well, I finally got there. Not a happy chappie with Windows 10 Home, which was an official upgrade from a Legit 8.1 installation. I did try the Aktivat0rd Win7 Ultimate to 10 upgrade to try & get a Legit 10 Pro key, but something installs itself for Win 7 to do any updates & then doesn't do any updates after 2 hours of spannering around doing nothing!

Managed to find an Aktivat0rd Win 10 Pro 2nd Generation ISO. Win 8.1 saw my 40GB partition get nuked to 5.5GB free for all the damned updates. Win 10 Pro leaves me with 18.7GB free, but it's lean & mean with no Swapfile other than the small one it must have & no Hibernation in place. ("powercfg.exe /hibernate off") I might just buy Win 10 Pro.

I also get a better experience with IPS Gaming on 10 Pro than 8.1 Home & the IPS issues I've had since Novemeber last year are still ongoing. I'll post a thread about it once I get sorted.
[Reply]
Teho 17:37 28th February 2016
I've built a new PC recently and was going to get Win10 for that. I fully expected to have to pay for mine as my old Windows 7 was an OEM version, and allthough I could probably upgrade to 10 on the old pc the license wouldn't work on the new one. And it didn't, so I clicked on the store button and that is when I finally saw the price for a Pro license; more than £200! Kinda balked at that, saw you could get a Home license for half that amount but... Home edition is for muggles. I'm a wizard!

On a whim I decided to try the support number listed on the activation screen. I figured there's no way, but what the hell. And after struggling through reading the Win7 license key AND the Win10 installation ID (9 groups of 7 digits each) over the phone with all the confusion that entails they actually gave me a Win10 Pro license! I even flat out told them at the start of the conversation that I was using a Win7 Pro OEM license on an old machine and was installing Win10 Pro on an entirely new one, and still they let me have it. So that's a thing to try if you have any old license lying around apparently.

That said I'm not very happy with it so far. I've only used it for a couple of days but for me it's been an unstable mess with lots of MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreens. Googling a solution for that wasn't easy as this seems to be a bug that manifests itself in a myriad of ways, and there's a hundred solutions people claim worked for them. I do think I've ironed it out now, for me it always happened right at startup so I disabled everything in the startup menu and that seems to have made it go away. Once the computer is done starting up I can then launch those programs manually just fine. Strange thing.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:41 29th February 2016
OEM Win 10 Pro can be found for £115 @ ebuyer

I've seen some memory issues with games like COD Black Ops III but another torrent version sorted it out. Tom Clancys recent Beta release on Steam also had memory issues. I deleted the content without really seeing the game run. I've not seen a single MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screen though. Just a prompt to close some apps due to lack of memory with the M$ sound effect poppiing up on the desktop for a System problem.

However, Outlook 2010 is much more secure than when running on Win 8.1 Home: I find this hard to believe for such a recent OS. Win 8.1 appears to allow your .pst data file contents to be robbed with a bombardment of failed delivery emails from whoever tried mailing the contact robbed from said file.

The hardware I'm runnnig atm is Ivybridge 3770K @ 4.7Ghz, 8GB DDR 2666Mhz Ram via Dual Slots & 2 x 780ti's in SLI & have thought about perhaps getting a 16GB dual kit. Not sure I really need it tbh.
[Reply]
Teho 13:09 29th February 2016
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
OEM Win 10 Pro can be found for £115 @ ebuyer
Well I was sitting there on friday and wanted to activate right then and not wait days for an OEM disc to arrive. I did consider it, I found a retailer that had one that I could go and get. It was around £150 though, and the round-trip would take an hour and a half, passing several tolls on top of that. So with the expenses it would pretty much end up being in the £200 range anyway. :/
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Up