Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Hyperion declared backrupt.
Nosferax 17:48 4th May 2015
Well, a multi-processors patched AmigaOS running on a dual top of the line G5 would have been nice...
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:52 6th May 2015
Originally Posted by Nosferax:
Well, a multi-processors patched AmigaOS running on a dual top of the line G5 would have been nice...
Parallel Processing is where the PPC boards came to the Amiga. The original idea behind those boards was to run your Miggy on 68XXX & utilize the PPC chips much faster "MIPS"-idge for doing things like 3D rendering, etc.
The Amiga was even experimenting with Transputer Chips for parallel processing. Sadly, we never saw them go mainstream in their day.

This is the Register's report on David May RE: Parallel Processing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...ech_david_may/

Heck! - I was there in the day & it almost seems like only yesterday in so many ways.
^^^^^^ (Cr4p.... I'm getting 0ld......)

- - - Updated - - -

@ Harrison

I did say earlier that we can't edit our posts on this thread. Is there a reason for that please?
[Reply]
Nosferax 13:57 6th May 2015
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
Originally Posted by Nosferax:
Parallel Processing is where the PPC boards came to the Amiga. The original idea behind those boards was to run your Miggy on 68XXX & utilize the PPC chips much faster "MIPS"-idge for doing things like 3D rendering, etc.
The Amiga was even experimenting with Transputer Chips for parallel processing. Sadly, we never saw them go mainstream in their day.

This is the Register's report on David May RE: Parallel Processing:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...ech_david_may/

Heck! - I was there in the day & it almost seems like only yesterday in so many ways.
^^^^^^ (Cr4p.... I'm getting 0ld......)

- - - Updated - - -

@ Harrison

I did say earlier that we can't edit our posts on this thread. Is there a reason for that please?
Has anybody ever considered migrating AmigaOS to the Intel x86 platform? Apple did it for Mac OS X.
I believe it would then be more easy and less costly for people to build a compatible machine. The X1000 is way too much costly even for me who do have the mean to buy one. $3k+ for a PC today is too expensive.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:02 7th May 2015
Yes, it's called AROS.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:03 7th May 2015
Originally Posted by :
@ Harrison

Yes, it's because this thread was posted in the site's news and announcements forum, which is actually only meant to be for site announcements and can only be posted by staff members. I will move this out into general chat.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:45 9th May 2015
Thanks H.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up