Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: PlayStation Game Changer Documentary & Book
zapiy 17:15 1st December 2014

20 Years of PlayStation

It's incredible to think that PlayStation arrived in Japan from nowhere 20 years ago.PSX as it was known back then.

It was one of the most incredible eras that video gaming has ever known.In the 70s & 80's 95% of console games were 2D and the teams making the games were all heavily versed in two-dimensional game design,game-play & the coding & graphic disciplines required to get those products completed.

Sony purchased the UK games publisher Psygnosis in 1993 because they knew that in order to succeed they would need ready-made games development organisations who could produce PlayStation games.

Find out more HERE

Attached: 875817aeee95613278e59b94bceb8fd7_large.jpg (41.8 KB)
[Reply]
Harrison 18:11 1st December 2014
It definitely was an amazing console, which changed gaming forever, and was actually the console first responsible for getting non gamers into casual gaming, long before the Wii.

Also I knew a lot of people back then buying Final Fantasy 7, whom had never played an RPG and most of them finished the game!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 04:01 2nd December 2014
It introduced me to more RPGs, I played FF7 and FF8 on the PC, but when a friend told me that you could get more RPGs like these on the PS1, I eventually bought one, although quite late.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:03 8th December 2014
Yeah. The original Play Station changed the entire console world on it's release & despite several changes to some of the games, they never actually got the best out of the hardware ever. Arguably, the PS platform was one of the better platforms to max out the hardware.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:38 9th December 2014
Sony released that optimisation tool for developers towards the end of its life. Tekken 3 and the last GT were meant to have squeezed everything possible from the hardware.

In contrast I don't think they ever pushed other consoles such as the original Xbox anywhere near its limit.
[Reply]
zapiy 19:44 15th December 2014
It's a shame this has not taken off as much as I had hoped.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 06:58 16th December 2014
I followed it a bit, and it doesn't seem to do so well after all.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up