Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Win 8.x questions
Tiago 17:34 21st January 2014
Hi, after years of Win XP and Win 7 my new laptop came with 8.0
i already upgrade to 8.1, now:

1) how do i remove the fxxxxxx start screen with all the fxxxxx squares/tiles whatever ?
I want to remove that, but, be able to bring it back if necessary. Something like a "disable"

2) Is not that i can't live with start screen, but i hate to see so many shxxx on screen, news, travel, bla bla bla, i didn't ask for that #$%!#% !!!
If you go to desktop and you have the familiar icons style, is the start screen still in memory?

3) what a fxxxx is that sleep screen, or whatever is called in English, that thing that blocks screen when you don't do anything for 10 minutes. Man, i just want get control back with a mouse movement, not to put a password to unblock it. this is not a tablet...

thanks
[Reply]
Harrison 00:20 22nd January 2014
Install the utility Start8. I use it with Windows 8. It restores the start menu and gives you complete control over how it works. You can give full Windows 7 style control back. It also lets you boot directly to the desktop and only access the metro tiles when you want them.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Well worth the small price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
J T 04:55 22nd January 2014
Originally Posted by Tiago:
3) what a fxxxx is that sleep screen, or whatever is called in English, that thing that blocks screen when you don't do anything for 10 minutes. Man, i just want get control back with a mouse movement, not to put a password to unblock it. this is not a tablet...

thanks
That's a 'Screensaver'. I'd have thought there would be an option to disable the password-unlock. I haven't actually used windows 8 though, so I couldn't tell you any more.

Harrison will probably tell you to buy a Mac next.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:53 22nd January 2014
You think JT? Not any time soon!!!

Actually, I don't use Windows 8 at all my self (other than in a virtual machine for testing) but my wife has it on her laptop so I've had to fight it a few times to get it to do what I've wanted.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 12:26 22nd January 2014
I've not used Windows 8.x myself, but I read this page the other day and it might be worth bearing in mind: http://toastytech.com/guis/win8sp1.html
[Reply]
Tiago 16:38 24th January 2014
Thanks i will read the info.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:01 26th January 2014
When 8.1 gets to desktop, move & hold mouse over bottom left corner of screen & left-click once. - Or, once @ tiled desktop, left-click the Desktop tile to go to original Desktop look. To make this default, right click desktop taskbar, select Navigation Tab & check the boxes saying:

"When I sign in or close all applications on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start"
"Show my desktop background on Start"

Job done.
[Reply]
Harrison 19:42 26th January 2014
Did you know that even 8.0 had this start menu/button? It was just deactivated and all it needed was a flag changed in the registry. However isn't the 8.1 start menu still the cut down more basic menu, and not the fully featured one of 7? That's why I like using the Start8 utility because it restores all functionality of 7's, including the search/quick command box.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:36 27th January 2014
Gah. I remember those Star-Cock programs back in the Win98SE dayz.

Never again.

Classic Shelll works ok for me.
[Reply]
Harrison 07:19 28th January 2014
Their products did used to be evil system hogging piles of junk, but their current utilities are surprisingly good. I really wouldn't use Windows 8 without Start8. It isn't a system hog, launches and configured quickly, and is out of site and just works seamlessly in the background once installed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up