Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Amiga Flight Sims
Ghost 10:30 17th January 2014
Hello all,

I would like to ask the older Amiga fans here about the flight sims that were released for the Amiga.
I am by no means planning to buy any but I am curious which ones are considered the best by the people here.
[Reply]
Tiago 14:13 17th January 2014
I never saw the Miggy as a good platform for flight simulators.
I always prefer the peecee for that.
I can only remember the great FA18 Hornet. I enjoy it a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

I also remember playing dogfight for some time
[Reply]
Harrison 14:32 17th January 2014
The first one that really became popular was Falcon in 1988/89. It was first released on the Atari ST, then the Amiga. There were many other really good Flight Sims on the Amiga, many with built in analogue stick support.

But, as you say, a lot of the same games were released on PC and were the better versions purely because by the time more Flight Sims were being released in the 90's the PC had started to gain proper graphics cards which could handle 256 colour modes with full textured 3D, so the Amiga couldn't match it.
[Reply]
Tiago 14:48 17th January 2014
"... many with built in analogue stick support ..." ?
how? Never saw any Joy then digital (8 different positions), how doyou do that with DB9 ports? Or is it an external card?
[Reply]
Phantom 17:05 17th January 2014
When F/A 18 Interceptor was released, it was the best flight simulator for the Amiga. There are a couple of very good flight simulators (F29 Retaliator, Falcon F16, TFX etc) for the Amiga, but you will need at least 030 and a couple MBs of Fast RAM for the best pleasure.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 06:54 18th January 2014
Originally Posted by Phantom:
but you will need at least 030 and a couple MBs of Fast RAM for the best pleasure.
Emulating perhaps?
[Reply]
Buleste 09:31 18th January 2014
Gunship2000 was always one of my favourites. The AGA version especially. As has been said before, in the early days the Amiga had some brilliant Flight Sims for the time but they were quickly overshadowed by the PC. TFX would've been a brilliant final hurrah for the Amiga had it been completely finished and the bugs fixed.
[Reply]
Phantom 10:14 18th January 2014
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Emulating perhaps?
That was never an option for me.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:41 18th January 2014
I forgot about Gunship 2000. Brilliant game. I still own both the AGA and CD32 versions.. and used to play the CD32 version a lot.

Another really good flight sim was F15 Strike Eagle II.

Originally Posted by Tiago:
"... many with built in analogue stick support ..." ?
how? Never saw any Joy then digital (8 different positions), how doyou do that with DB9 ports? Or is it an external card?
You have to use an analogue joystick adapter which plugged into the Amiga joystick port to allow you to connect the 15 pin PC joysticks to the Amiga port. Remember that the Amiga's joystick ports also support mice, which are analogue, and therefore can be utilised for analogue joystick support.

Details of how to build the adapter can be found here:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/j..._circuits.html

I had (might still have somewhere) a Gravis analogue joystick that worked well, and an adapter which I think was made by Phoenix.

Some racing games such as Microprose F1GP also supported this.

A brief list of the games I know that support analogue joysticks include:

A-10 Tank Killer Verison1.5
Air Warrior
AV8B Harrier Assault
Birds of Prey
Descent: Freespace - The Great War
F-15 Strike Eagle II
F-19 Stealth Fighter
FA-18 Interceptor
Fighter Duel Pro 1 and 2
Flight of the Intruder
Flight Simulator 2
Gunship 2000
Jet Pilot
Knights of the Sky
Microprose F1GP
MiG-29 Fulcrum
MiG-29M Super Fulcrum
Reach for the Skies
Red Baron
Tornado
[Reply]
Tiago 14:19 20th January 2014
That is new to me, i always thought it only could work as digital. Back in time Microprose F1GP would be much better in analog.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up