Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Your Internet connection
Kin Hell 15:02 15th December 2013
Hi guys.

Thought I'd start this thread as an idea to collect other peoples line stats & type of internet connection. What I'm interested in are the following fields:

Provider (ISP)
Protocol: Cable, VDSL (fibre), ADSL, ISDN & er *cough* dial-up
With regard to VDSL above, is it Infinity or Infinity2 & also, is it FTTP or FTTC??

Downstream Speed
Upstream Speed
Line Attenuation
SNR Downstream
SNR Upstream
Ping time to Google.co.uk

Kicking off here mine are:

Sky BSB
VDSL Infinity FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)
27db
7db
6.8db
14ms ping

Both my downstream & Upstream SNR values are simply shocking & is the reason why I can't play games with my uber Tri-SLI Ivybridge rig. It's been like it for years now & is really pissing me off. No way am I spending £80 on the new BF4 Premium when I can NOT interact with the game in the manner it was intended to.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:16 15th December 2013
Unfortunately I can't retrieve most of that information because it's only available from the modem (BT separate modem and HH4 router). And you can't log directly into the BT modem. I however ran the BT Speed test which connects directly from the exchange to the Home Hub to perform a fairly accurate speed result.

What I can give you is:BT
VDSL Infinity 2 FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)

Downstream Speed
75.64Mb/s (Sometimes it hits 78)
Upstream Speed 16.91Mb/s
Line Attenuation
n/a
SNR Downstream
n/a
SNR Upstream
n/a
Ping time to Google.co.uk
9ms

The only way I could obtain SNR or LN figures would be to hack into the modem, or to swap the Hub for a different router.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:58 16th December 2013
Actually H, you can, but you need to flash your BT Fibre Modem with a different Firmware version.

Go read about it over @ Kitz

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

This link will take you to the Unlocked firmware page.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6wW...U3c/edit?pli=1

Hold mouse over Unlocked002 file & click the arrow over to the right of the name string.

Enjoy.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:37 16th December 2013
Cheers for the link. However as my connection is working ok I think I will leave it be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Kin Hell 21:45 16th December 2013
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Cheers for the link. However as my connection is working ok I think I will leave it be.

It will work just as well as it is now Dave. The firmware allows you to see just what is going on with your connection. It will change nothing RE: your connection as you perceive it. The firmware update I show here lets you see your line Stats as you should be able to see (BT are blinding their customers) & allows you to tel-net the connection as well. The BT Fibre set up is really a seriously Retarded event for the User. Trust me like you need this more than a hole in ur Ass.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:45 18th December 2013
I still have ADSL with 20Mbit down, and 768kbit up, which I have since very long already, and I think the download speed is ok, although I only get 12-13 out of my 20, but the upload kinda sucks.

But on this Friday, the 20th, as they already put fibre into our houses this year, I will finally get fibre connection, although only the small connection of 30Mbit will be available for me, until they will connect the whole area. But the upload will increase from 768kbit to 10Mbit, that's a huge difference. Plus the price will drop from 85€ to 55€ monthly, not too bad. But for the bigger connections, I will probably have to wait until January 2015, that's what they said, and they should have finished for January 2013
[Reply]
Harrison 02:41 19th December 2013
That's great that you are finally getting the fibre connected. 30/10 if a very useable speed. What caused such a delay? I remember you originally expected it quite some time ago.

Great for downloading. I find it's brilliant for Steam, other PC, and console download and updates. Really removes the tedious waiting for download to finish. And also for streaming.

Sadly for seeding, especially from Pleasuredome, since getting my fast connection, I've discovered that most torrents are saturated. I only get occasional spikes of fast seeding. Most of the time it's around 200-400 KB/s. However it must go up fairly often as I've been averaging around 900GB a month seeded from just the MAME CHDs, so building up a nice ratio.. currently have around 6TB download credit to play with.

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 01:39 20th December 2013
Obviously the works got delayed all the time, plus last winter was quite harsh, so they didn't work for several months.

I checked my internet speed now on my Fritzbox, and at the moment it's only 6.3Mbit down and 438kbit up, that's not really what I pay for, it's supposed to be 20Mbit down, why such a loss? I hope I will get full speeds once the fibre is connected later today.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:51 20th December 2013
Hopefully you should. When I was on ADSL I was only getting 5-6mbps, but once on fibre achieved the theoretical full 78mbps.

If your fibre, fttc (fibre to the cabinet), or fttp (fibre to the premises)? Mine is FTTC, whereby the fibre runs from the exchange to the nearest street cabinet, then the final connection from that cabinet to my house is using the existing phone line. Where as fttp actually rubs the fibre connection right into the house. That is rare in the UK but those able to get it can obtain up to 300mbps.

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 01:57 20th December 2013
After updating the firmware now on my Fritzbox, and restarting, I got back to 14Mbit down and 876kbit up.

At the moment it is like this at my house. The main fibre outside is not connected yet, so at the moment, they still will pass through my normal cable inside the house, and there, the 30Mbit is the absolute maximum. Once they have connected all the houses, and connected evrything, then they can switch to other speeds, which are 100Mbit, 200Mbit or 1Gbit here. Although the 1Gbit is 150€/month.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up