Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Issues with slow connections
Kin Hell 20:04 29th November 2013
Good to hear you're not with TalkTalk. They should re-name thier business to LaggLagg ffs!

However, Harrison is right: PlusNet is owned by BT so you get screwed by BT's standars which isn't pretty. Anything to do with BT will throttle you silly from 4pm onwards. Torrent files fdor example will simply CRAWL. - Sky however is un-throttled & afaiac, it Rox. Got a 1.2Mb/sec DL happeninng atm with a 21.5GB version of "The Heat" movie. - Started an hour ago...only 4hrs to go @ current speed.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 22:38 29th November 2013
Kin, have you used TalkTalk before? They've never really appealed to me, but I'm sure I've heard bad things about them.

I'm not bothered if it slows down a bit in the evening, as I still download most large stuff over night. Given that I would only download around 30GB per month on average anyway, it is easy to do overnight.

Don, no idea about free Wi-Fi. Do you mean like on other people's premises? Because I have my own private 802.11b network here for use with wireless devices.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 23:48 29th November 2013
@ SC

Not personally, but I know of several friends who have. Having seen it performing personally, it's a very very poor service, believe me.
[Reply]
DonAmiga 01:55 30th November 2013
As Im a bt customer I get unlimited free wifi from bt fon, openzone, hotspot, etc. So just wondering if plusnet offered it? I know a couple of people with talk talk and they don't rate their customer service.
[Reply]
Harrison 02:44 30th November 2013
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
Good to hear you're not with TalkTalk. They should re-name thier business to LaggLagg ffs!

However, Harrison is right: PlusNet is owned by BT so you get screwed by BT's standars which isn't pretty. Anything to do with BT will throttle you silly from 4pm onwards. Torrent files fdor example will simply CRAWL. - Sky however is un-throttled & afaiac, it Rox. Got a 1.2Mb/sec DL happeninng atm with a 21.5GB version of "The Heat" movie. - Started an hour ago...only 4hrs to go @ current speed.
Really? Where did you get that info? As you know I'm on BT Infinity and haven't had any issues with torrents at any time of the day. I mostly use it for retro and emulation these days though.. and the last big download was for a MAME update, which downloaded at about 4MB/s. And the limit there was the tracker and seeders.

Sounds like your connection is slow Kin? 1.2Mb/s or MB/s? If it's just torrents how do you have it setup? What port are you using? And are you using PeerBlock and encrypted torrents?

I tend to use Usenet these days for most stuff and that maxes my connection for most downloads. Yesterday it was a steady 10MB/s (79Mb/s). Downloaded a 10GB film in about 18 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:06 30th November 2013
I pleased to say that the connection has been quite reliable over the last day. On Thursday it was hopelessly unreliable.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:58 30th November 2013
@ H

Start another thread if u like. My speeds have nothing to do with SC's issues.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:58 30th November 2013
I'm not strict about how thread discussions progress Kin, as long as it's not completely off topic. We often have a thread starting about something and progressing on to something related. It's how real conversations happen after all. If you however want to start another thread to discuss your exact download issues please do.
[Reply]
DonAmiga 16:10 30th November 2013
BT's TV advertising claims not to slow down internet speed!
[Reply]
Harrison 16:19 30th November 2013
From my personal experience they don't, but I have also read on some forums that they have been known to throttle torrent traffic on some people's connections. I'm wondering if this is mainly ADSL connections though, where the bandwidth does matter more and can affect others on the same exchange contention (although ISPs claim these days that contention doesn't exist, it does).
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up