Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: How to remove Linux and install Windoze 7 again?
Phantom 13:04 25th October 2013
Another problem arised, I knew it, I came with that problem before in the past, as something is happening with the MBR when Linux installed, and I cannot install Win7 from the CD. Anyone knows the steps to be able to install Win7?

- - - Updated - - -

I used GParted and cleaned the partitions, now Win7 is installing itself to HDD. Hope that was the right move.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:19 25th October 2013
I'd buy that for a dollar.
[Reply]
Phantom 14:32 25th October 2013
Tough luck mate, Grub is still there and Win7 refuses to restart. Now how the hell I will remove Grub?
[Reply]
Kin Hell 15:49 25th October 2013
have you tried this?

Bootrec.exe/FixMbr

Originally Posted by :
Here are some Steps if you dont want to go into the details on Micrsoft Website.

1. Put the Windows 7 installation/Upgrade disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer (set to boot from CD in BIOS).

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair (Windows 7 in this case), and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Once in the command prompt, type exactly Bootrec.exe /FixMbr and then press ENTER. You will see "operation completed successfully." (Doesnt even take a second. Dont be alarmed )

8. Reboot and set BIOS to boot from the HDD again.

GRUB will be overwritten in step 7 and Windows bootloader will once again take control of loading your OS(s).
- - - Updated - - -

Another option that might work for you is EasyBCD. Click on the link to download the Installer.

EasyBCD

EasyBCD is a software utility for Windows that lets you control and configure the BCD/BOOTMGR bootloader for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:11 25th October 2013
Are you trying to completely get rid of Linux and replace it with Windows? Or do you want them side by side?

If you want them side by side, you may have to modify your GRUB setup so that it will boot the Windows partition. I can't remember how to do this manually. Normally I just use my Linux distro's install CD to reinstall GRUB, and it will auto detect all operating systems.

If you want rid of GRUB completely, I would have thought just clearing the MBR and repartitioning would do the trick.

Doesn't Windows normally overwrite the MBR anyway? I seem to recall that 2000 and XP do. Not sure about 7 though.
[Reply]
Phantom 16:48 25th October 2013
I want to remove LinuxMint completely and re-install Windows 7 (as it was from the factory). But the Acer Recovery Management doesn't have an option to enter the command prompt... sigh... suckerzzz...
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 05:55 26th October 2013
Hmm, I'm not sure how a recovery disk would go about installing Windows.

Let us know how you get on.
[Reply]
Phantom 10:13 26th October 2013
Hm... I found some commands to type in Linux terminal in order to remove GRub completely, and Win7 installed without any problems.

Case closed methinks.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:13 26th October 2013
What commands?
[Reply]
Phantom 12:31 26th October 2013
Don't get me wrong mate, but I really don't remember. Some sudo something remove grub something commands.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up