Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: PS2 Modding.
Buleste 18:38 16th October 2013
Just got myself a free PS2 Slim off Freecycle in working order with a few games and I'm thinking about modding it. So my question is Modchip or Softmod? Any ideas guys?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 20:21 16th October 2013
I'm always for Modchip, Matrix fits best in the slim model.

Harrison might tell you that you should softmod it. I can not help you with that, as I never softmodded a PS2.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:26 16th October 2013
I also agree that that the Matrix Infinity is the best mid chip. I use one myself in my slim. However that chip isn't available any more. There are however clones that work as well. I forget the name of it though. Will update if I find it.

As for softmodding, this is also possible using a memory card setup with a special softmod software. If you are interested in this I can find links to creating one. Alternatively I know someone who sells these memory cards already setup and ready to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Buleste 09:21 17th October 2013
I've found the Modbo 4.0 which is the clone of the Matrix for $12.00 with a Diode fix board for free. The only problem I have with it is I have a V16 board and it looks like it's the most complicated install.

The alternative is McBoot or a DIY version but I think you can only use specific games for the DIY but what I've seen isn't all that clear and usually contradictory.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:08 17th October 2013
McBoot is the one. Works well to run emulators, DVD-Rs and games on a usb hdd (which is what I would recommend).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:28 17th October 2013
@ Buleste

Mod-chip every time.

I have 3 x PS2 Mod chips here.

They are all unused & still sealed. Modbo 760 type which was one of the better Mod-Chips of it's day.

232-Modbo-760-for-PS-PS2-Repair-Parts-KT-20008-.jpg

Amibay Link for fitting hre: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=27122

PM me if you are interested.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:13 17th October 2013
Definitely worth getting that Modbo 760. Here is a link detailing all the features: http://www.discoazul.co.uk/chip-ps2-two-modbo-760.html
[Reply]
Buleste 19:41 17th October 2013
The modbo 4.0 that I've been looking at has basically the same features and the installation is exactly the same as the 760 and it requires soldering on both sides of the mobo. The fact it comes with a diode fix board sort of makes me want to go for that. What I may do is try the soft mod whilst I'm waiting for the modchip or do some more research.

SCPH-79000mi_modbo.jpgSCPH-79000mi_modbo.jpg
[Reply]
Kin Hell 15:33 19th October 2013
Done any more research yet?

In post #7 on the link @ AmiBay, Farnsworth refers to Modbo 4 not booting Backup's if used with version 1.99??

If you are interested, I can post you one of these Modbo 760's for £8.00 inc shipping.
[Reply]
Buleste 10:12 20th October 2013
I saw that about 1.99 but the ones I've seen have 1.93 on board which was the last official Matrix Infinity firmware so I'm happy with that. Thanks for the offer though.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up