Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Vista Slowness
Stephen Coates 12:55 7th April 2017
They decided to go and look at the local computer shop who do a lot of refurbished PCs. I went with them today and we managed to get a small form factor Dell Dimension (similar to the current one), with a Pentium Dual Core, 4GB RAM, and Windows 10 for about 140.

Should be decent enough for what the bloke needs it for and should be an improvement on his current Sempron/1GB/Vista system.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:38 8th April 2017
I would highly recommend the ram be upgraded to 8gb though. Windows 10, and even 7 run much better with that as a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Kin Hell 11:03 8th April 2017
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I would highly recommend the ram be upgraded to 8gb though. Windows 10, and even 7 run much better with that as a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I entirely agree H.

I've been fortunate to have 8GB DDR3 for a couple of years now & I can see a big difference for replacing it with 16GB.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:47 10th April 2017
I went to set up the new machine today. I think this 'new' machine is actually older than the 'old' one (albeit with much better specs).

On this guy's monitor, the machine booted but would only display a blank screen with a cursor. After a bit of faffing, I learnt that you have to press Win+P to change which display is the primary one. Maybe it was trying to output the desktop to the TV out or something. Sounds like that is a common problem with Windows 10. Anyway, I got most of the system set up and it seems to work fine. It browses the web OK and runs Libre Office so I think it will be fine with its current spec. I might advise an ad blocker though to help with web pages.
[Reply]
J T 00:31 12th April 2017
Seems like a reasonable upgrade for him
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up