Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Vista Slowness
Stephen Coates 12:55 7th April 2017
They decided to go and look at the local computer shop who do a lot of refurbished PCs. I went with them today and we managed to get a small form factor Dell Dimension (similar to the current one), with a Pentium Dual Core, 4GB RAM, and Windows 10 for about £140.

Should be decent enough for what the bloke needs it for and should be an improvement on his current Sempron/1GB/Vista system.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:38 8th April 2017
I would highly recommend the ram be upgraded to 8gb though. Windows 10, and even 7 run much better with that as a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Kin Hell 11:03 8th April 2017
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I would highly recommend the ram be upgraded to 8gb though. Windows 10, and even 7 run much better with that as a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I entirely agree H.

I've been fortunate to have 8GB DDR3 for a couple of years now & I can see a big difference for replacing it with 16GB.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:47 10th April 2017
I went to set up the new machine today. I think this 'new' machine is actually older than the 'old' one (albeit with much better specs).

On this guy's monitor, the machine booted but would only display a blank screen with a cursor. After a bit of faffing, I learnt that you have to press Win+P to change which display is the primary one. Maybe it was trying to output the desktop to the TV out or something. Sounds like that is a common problem with Windows 10. Anyway, I got most of the system set up and it seems to work fine. It browses the web OK and runs Libre Office so I think it will be fine with its current spec. I might advise an ad blocker though to help with web pages.
[Reply]
J T 00:31 12th April 2017
Seems like a reasonable upgrade for him
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up