Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Vista Slowness
Kin Hell 13:34 17th October 2013
Originally Posted by Harrison:
<snip>

@Kin. As shocking as it might be, most people don't play any games in their PCs. They literally use them for word processing, email, surfing the internet, and some candy crush saga. For this even a Core2duo is fine, let alone an i3.

<snip>
As may be, but then you can't use a joypad to aim a crosshair like you can spinning around with a mouse & keyboard. Consoles are utterly useless for 3D Shooters & you know it.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:21 17th October 2013
yes... but what is your point? Such people that don't game on their PCs don't game on consoles either! Most just play a few games on their phones and tablets... which is sadly becoming the mainstream gaming platform. Consoles are going back to hardcore gamers and not in every household.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:49 18th October 2013
Originally Posted by Harrison:
<snip>

@Kin. As shocking as it might be, most people don't play any games in their PCs. They literally use them for word processing, email, surfing the internet, and some candy crush saga. For this even a Core2duo is fine, let alone an i3.

<snip>

i7 is a better platform to game on than Core2Duo, i3, i5, consoles or mobiles I guess.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:32 31st March 2017
The guy who has this Vista computer is concerned about it since MS is soon stopping support for Vista. He was asking about Windows 10.

Will Windows 10 likely run OK on a 2007 era typical consumer desktop system? Unfortunately I can't remember the specs.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:26 2nd April 2017
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
The guy who has this Vista computer is concerned about it since MS is soon stopping support for Vista. He was asking about Windows 10.

Will Windows 10 likely run OK on a 2007 era typical consumer desktop system? Unfortunately I can't remember the specs.
It might, but there will be no Driver support for a 2007 based puter. Your hardware will purely rely on M$ using it's own database of Legacy type drivers. Reading here might help you ascertain.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...specifications
[Reply]
Harrison 11:56 2nd April 2017
He should test it with windows 7 first. It should run ok with that. Then upgrade 7 to 10. Reason being if it can't find drivers for any hardware it falls back on the existing installed win 7 ones as they will still work.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:19 2nd April 2017
Judging by the specs on that Microsoft page, it will probably be OK. I suggested upgrading to Windows 7 a few years ago but he never followed up with that.

I think they were going to go and ask at the local computer shop. If they do, hopefully they might advise a memory upgrade.

Do you think such a machine will be less sluggish with Windows 10?
[Reply]
J T 00:07 3rd April 2017
My AMD x2 system (the one I built based on Harrison's recommended parts) from around 2006 is still alive and kicking. It runs Win7 just fine. With 4gig ram and an SSD for the main OS it still feels pretty decent for the basic stuff like browsing, torrenting etc.

I did try to run the Win 10 upgrade prog to see what would happen but the computer failed the upgrade checks - I think it was the GFX card that was so old as to be unsupported, but I can't really remember as I wasn't really too bothered and didn't push any further. In short, I reckon it might be a push to get your mate onto Win 10 (it might work, perhaps) but Win 7 would be just super.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 21:44 4th April 2017
He phoned up earlier to say he was interested in trying Windows 7, so I recommended he did that.

Is it still possible to buy a license for Windows 7?
[Reply]
Harrison 02:15 5th April 2017
Not sure but it's very easy to find an iso download and really easy to find the patching software.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up