Appl€?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 20:38 11th October 2013
Excellent Teho
[Reply]
Kin Hell 11:15 13th October 2013
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
Do you use non-M$ based systems at all?

BTW, I got told off on a forum the other week for referring to Microsoft as M$.

Yeah, I use AmigaDos, dabble in a bit of Unix from time to time & re-install Winblows quite regulary cos it fux up all the time.

Can't turn on file & printer sharing atm. Well, I can but even for applying the changes, it is always disabled when you go back into the advanced settings. This is probably why I can't map any network drives so hey ho, another re-install.

& I'm the same as Harrison, it's also been M$ for me, also Mircoshaft, but mainly M$. I've had plenty of free replacement mice & keyboards from them over the years. F'narr!
[Reply]
Harrison 13:34 13th October 2013
I never reinstall Windows if I can help it. I would much rather track down and fix a problem so I know what caused it in case it ever happens again, or I encounter it on another system. With systems I receive to repair that is another matter because I never know the history of the user's usage of the OS, so I normally just dump the contents of the HDD for a full backup then format and clean install, then copy the user files back so they don't lose anything. It is much easier that trying to fix most user's existing installs because in all honesty most people don't actually seem to use their computers far beyond the default setup... and that raises a big point I've considered for many years..

Most people get a new computer with an OS pre-installed. They don't change it for another OS, and then don't really install much on it other than maybe Office and a couple of games. And all of their personal files normally fit easily onto a 60GB pen drive. This has therefore always raised the question in my mind that for most people a full blown PC with a current spec CPU and loads of ram is complete overkill for most. I know people that when buying a new PC they have to spec the top end CPU, the most ram etc... but then I ask them what they are actually going to be doing on it and they describe email, office, web browsing, some Facebook games and sometimes (but not that often) install a couple of games. Why do these people need a PC with a quad core CPU and 8GB of ram and a full brown GPU? They don't. I have saved quite a few such people a lot of money in the last couple of years... building them a more modest i3 (using its built in GPU) and 4GB ram, with a 60GB SSD. They have been extremely happy with this and it has easily exceeded their needs.

If I worked for PC World I don't think they would be making much money from my sales!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:35 14th October 2013
Originally Posted by Harrison:
<snip>

Why do these people need a PC with a quad core CPU and 8GB of ram and a full brown GPU? They don't.

<snip>

Yes they do, because bloatware WindoZe needs it to give a better score in da WindoZe Experience & actually function half decently.

Seroiusly though, an i3 rig is not going to perform as well as an i7 or i5 based rig. CPU Cache plays a huge part on things, especially when Gaming.

When it comes to re-installing, 99% of the time, it's quicker than actually finding a solution to the problem. I've been trawling the web for the last week since putting a NAS drive on my network. Never needed to map jack before I attached my 12GB Network Store. So no more wasting time for me.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:12 14th October 2013
I often wonder how so many people end up with so much crap on their computers. In many years of having Windows based systems, I've never had one be particularly slow.

Of course, this does beg the question, why do so many people have computers in the first place?
[Reply]
Phantom 18:23 14th October 2013

If your question was in general, yes I use only AmigaOS at home. I have my A1200 with AmigaOS 3.1 and my X1000 with AmigaOS 4.1 which is my daily computer. Thanks god that I'll never have windoze at home, never!!!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:41 16th October 2013
Originally Posted by Phantom:

If your question was in general, yes I use only AmigaOS at home. I have my A1200 with AmigaOS 3.1 and my X1000 with AmigaOS 4.1 which is my daily computer. Thanks god that I'll never have windoze at home, never!!!
Lucky man.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:42 16th October 2013
Excellent. Always cool to see people who use modern versions of AmigaOS. I've briefly used OS4 a few years ago and it seemed nice, but I don't have any hardware to run it.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:46 16th October 2013
Same with me. I've never had hardware to run OS4. If I did then I would probably use it as part of my daily computing use, but in all honesty even that is badly dated now. And I have to use Windows as it's the only platform that can run all the software I need and use.

@Kin. As shocking as it might be, most people don't play any games in their PCs. They literally use them for word processing, email, surfing the internet, and some candy crush saga. For this even a Core2duo is fine, let alone an i3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up