Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: ADF files and viruses
Demon Cleaner 12:18 12th July 2013
Yesterday, not for the first time, our internet security administrator contacted me again, and told me that I would have viruses on my PC, all of them being .adf files.

Don't know why, but McAfee at work detects a lot of viruses among the .adf files on my external disk. I don't have any problem at home, so I don't know if it's really infected or not.

Whatever, what could happen? You don't open the .adf file on your PC anyway, the only thing you do is to run it through an emulator. Question is, could that in any way harm your system?
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:04 12th July 2013
McAfee is a virus itself mate. Sack it as soon as possible.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:11 12th July 2013
They are all false positives. No ADF will have a modern PC virus in them. The checker doesn't know what the file contains so flags it as suspect and logs it as a virus. Even my server sometimes throws up an ADF or EXE launcher contains a virus when they don't, and that is running Linux!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:26 12th July 2013
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
That's running on our servers, can't mess with that
[Reply]
Harrison 16:10 12th July 2013
Well, you could... but I expect they wouldn't be too happy about it.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 20:02 12th July 2013
Originally Posted by Harrison:
They are all false positives. No ADF will have a modern PC virus in them. The checker doesn't know what the file contains so flags it as suspect and logs it as a virus. Even my server sometimes throws up an ADF or EXE launcher contains a virus when they don't, and that is running Linux!
+1

Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
That's running on our servers, can't mess with that
Yeah you can. - Subscribe to a decent Virus Checker such as Sophos.

Problem is, un-installing McAfee. Could render your entire network fubar. Digs itself in deeper than an Alabama Tick ffs.

Even AVG is a sack of crap & can cause Blue Screens of death.

Sophos is an awesome Anti Virus solution & is second to none in my book. Expensive yes but most definitely one of those things where you pay for what you get & more importantly, if you're in the corporate sector of business needs, just how important is your company data? - At this level, you should already know the answer.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 20:40 12th July 2013
Well, you could... but I expect they wouldn't be too happy about it.
How could I? Everything is blocked, I can not even set up a scan by myself, everything is automated, and you need admin rights to change even the slightest option. Even in the msconfig I cannot change how stuff starts up on my PC, it's just locked.

- - - Updated - - -

just how important is your company data?
Well you know, it's not a company, it's the government, and we stock the whole data from our Luxembourgian government here, so basically is the data center of the country.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:00 15th July 2013
....<snip>....
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
just how important is your company data?
Well you know, it's not a company, it's the government, and we stock the whole data from our Luxembourgian government here, so basically is the data center of the country.

The country depends on McAfee as an Anti-virus solution?

Sheesh!
[Reply]
Harrison 14:04 15th July 2013
We do need to worry sometimes about the software decisions many larger companies make don't we!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:10 15th July 2013
We do need to worry sometimes about the software decisions many larger companies make don't we!
Almost disgraceful tbh H.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up