Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread: Finally getting fibre broadband!!!
Harrison 01:08 15th January 2014
Had Infinity 2 installed today at the rented cottage and this will really please Kin.

3232317564.png

Still have a nice low ping!

Download speed is a bit lower than at my other house, but not by much. And this is in rural West Sussex/Bosham down a country lane, surrounded by fields, with overhead phone lines connecting to the house at the top. I really wasn't expecting as good bandwidth. However I think the fibre cabinet must only be at the end of the lane on the main Emsworth to Chichester road, so only about a 1/4 mile at most.

I did have a bit of hassle with the engineer today though:

He arrived nice and early, just after 8am, which I prefer as you are not waiting all morning and wasting time. But, he wasn't an Open Reach engineer... a sub contractor! The Master Socket is strangely in the front bedroom window (because the phone-line enters the cottage from overhead at the front), but the room I'm using for my office is right at the back of the cottage in the newer extension. I explained to him that I needed the data line extension put though into that room. He instantly said he couldn't do it because he was only contracted to connect the FTTC and not run cables within the house (BS as a contractor did so at my own house last year, running a data (ethernet) cable from the master socket upstairs and into the office).

So anyway, he fitted the new filter to the master socket, then proceeded to test the line (but tried using our old number from our house and didn't know the new number that activated that morning). So after clearing that up be then went off to connect it up at the street cabinet. He came back and looked at my Hub 4 and asked where the black DSL cable was. I was a bit confued by that as I know it isn't needed, but said it was probably in its box back at the other house. So he took the cable from the fibre modem and plugged that into the router's DSL port.. Oh dear! I had to explain to him that it needed the Open Reach modem connected to the router's WAN port. He thought it was a Hub 5 with built in modem combined. Bloody Contractors!!! He was very reluctant to give me the new modem he had (I left the existing one back at the other house as BT tell you too, so I now have 2 and can now hack one to unlock it!

So he got the Infinity working and left. This meant we could use the WiFi but I didn't have it connected to the office or my computers. So I decided it had to either be powerline adapters or run an ethernet cable. I ruled out Powerline adapters because they are expensive, but also because the cottage is running a strange electrical setup with 2 consumer electric trip panels with one managing the older part and the other the newer extension, so I don't think they would work anyway. So instead I went to Novatech and grabbed 20M of Cat 6 cable and ran it from the modem in the front bedroom, through the cottage and into the office, and connected the Hub 4 to the other end. Works perfectly.

I did however encounter a WiFi issue, because the cottage has thick walls, is also quite spread out. The Hub 4's WiFi signal was really weak downstairs in the front room, probably due to the chimney blocking some of it, so I have utilised my Billion 7800N router. I disabled the ADSL modem in it by switching it into EWAN mode. Then switched off its DHCP server and set the router to a static IP on the Hub 4's range. Connected it up to the main network's switch and it works perfectly as a WiFi access point, and it has a much better signal than the Hub 4's, so it's all sorted. A bit of a complex home network, but it works well.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 19:50 18th January 2014
Yeah H. It'd be nice to see your line STATS.
[Reply]
Ivanhoe 08:38 20th January 2014
Test ADSL.jpeg

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:46 3rd February 2015
Finally I got my fibre activated and installed this morning. It works fine, I took the smallest one, which is almost the same price than the one I had before, and it has 100Mb download and 50Mb upload, which is by far enough for me.
[Reply]
Harrison 19:41 3rd February 2015
Nice speed. Is the fibre to home? Or to the cabinet?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 20:15 3rd February 2015
Don't get what you really mean?

The fibre is at my home place, not at work, if that's what you asked?
[Reply]
Harrison 02:13 4th February 2015
There are 2 types of fibre broadband you can get to a house. FTTC and FTTP.

Fibre to the cabinet runs the fibre cable to the nearest telephone exchange cabinet in your road, then the remaining distance from the cabinet to your house used existing copper phone cable. This is chapter because they only need to contact the phone exchange to each street cabinet, and not all the way to each house. This is the type we mostly have in the UK, which I have called BT Infinity.

The other more expensive type is called Fibre to the Premises, where the fibre connection is run right to your house and directly connected.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:03 4th February 2015
Originally Posted by Harrison:
The other more expensive type is called Fibre to the Premises, where the fibre connection is run right to your house and directly connected.
That's what I have now, still used copper before, but now it's connected straight away to the fibre that comes into the house.
[Reply]
Harrison 19:47 4th February 2015
Nice. Very rare to get fibre directly to the house in the UK.

What is the Max bandwidth you could of had?

In the UK I think it's about 300 Mbits for the lucky few. However BT have just announced they will start trialling a new technology using fibre to the cabinet, which in theory will provide between 500 Mbits and 1 Gbit! Now that would be something and could roll out within the next 2 years.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:00 5th February 2015
Maximum is 1000Mb down and 500Mb up. I don't know about the UK, but I think the prices are quite steep here in Luxembourg compared to ANY other country, we are definitely too small.

Check out the prices here, comparison between the 4 available options: http://www.post.lu/en/particuliers/i...uxfibre#panel2

For 15€ a month more, I could have the next one, but I think for what I need, this is fast enough. I almost download nothing at home, and the 50Mb upload will probably never be fully used.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Up