Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Finally getting fibre broadband!!!
Kin Hell 10:17 28th May 2013
Nice again. I have about 700m to the fibre Cabinet. About a week ago, another friend jumped on & he is unfortunate having 1400m of copper to deal with before he can get to fibre in his neck of the woods. If his wires went the other way, he'd only have 500m of copper wire. He's looking @ getting his wires bounced of a neighbour's house as there are no more poles nearer him in the other direction. Consequently, he only gets 28Mb down, but he use to get 19Mb on ADSL. Here lie some of the caveats of this new VDSL service & when you take away noise margin Values, the even higher Frequency of VDSL falls flat on it's face leaving you with a service that does not function as it should. Play games like never before..... Ur having a laugh BT.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:24 31st May 2013
Look at that ping time!

2742854225.png

[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:57 1st June 2013
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Look at that ping time!

Stfu ffs.... Git.
[Reply]
DonAmiga 21:10 29th August 2013
Harrison

How you getting on with the hub-4 or have you switched back to the billion?

I'm still waiting on infinity

Cheers
[Reply]
Harrison 03:52 30th August 2013
I'm actually still using the Hub 4 at the moment as it has been performing perfectly and the wifi coverage seems good all over the house and even down the garden.

I'm still tempted to switch back to the Billion at some point for the extra features, but I think it would mean losing the BT free Wi-Fi coverage when out feature as you have to be sharing your connection for other BT users to utilise when in range to qualify for using it elsewhere yourself.
[Reply]
DonAmiga 09:56 30th August 2013
Thanks, I also use the free wifi when out and about which is a great feature to have
[Reply]
Kin Hell 19:01 30th August 2013
I'm actually still using the Hub 4 at the moment as it has been performing perfectly and the wifi coverage seems good all over the house and even down the garden.

I'm still tempted to switch back to the Billion at some point for the extra features, but I think it would mean losing the BT free Wi-Fi coverage when out feature as you have to be sharing your connection for other BT users to utilise when in range to qualify for using it elsewhere yourself.
You mean BTPhon or whatever they call it. An un-secure network meaning anyone can access your service if in range......
[Reply]
DonAmiga 20:08 30th August 2013
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:

You mean BTPhon or whatever they call it. An un-secure network meaning anyone can access your service if in range......
You've got to sign in with your bt account to be able to use it
[Reply]
Harrison 03:07 31st August 2013
It's not insecure. It works by providing a completely separate ring fenced connection for the general public which shows up as its own WiFi router. If someone tries to connect to it then it will only load a BT connection page that allows BT customers to log into their account to use the connection to access the internet, or if you don't have an account purchase access from BT. It also restricts users to utilising a maximum of 512Kb of your bandwidth, so hardly noticeable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:53 9th September 2013
It's not insecure. It works by providing a completely separate ring fenced connection for the general public which shows up as its own WiFi router. If someone tries to connect to it then it will only load a BT connection page that allows BT customers to log into their account to use the connection to access the internet, or if you don't have an account purchase access from BT. It also restricts users to utilising a maximum of 512Kb of your bandwidth, so hardly noticeable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
It's still a shared port you have no control over & I don't like that. Especially when BT are stealing my noise margins through lack of Provision on BT Wholesales part. Bloody cheeky tbh.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Up