Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: The best demos from the 8-bit era
Harrison 14:51 20th August 2012
After Tiago posted his resurrection of a ZX Spectrum, and seeing his boot loader image, it got me interested in looking at some 8-bit productions from the demoscene.

It would be great to explore productions for some of the bigger players of the era:

Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, BBC Micro, Commodore 64 and maybe the MSX

We can look at the smaller systems of the era later, such as the Dragon.

So what demoscene productions are your favourites on these 8-bit systems? And if you can find any youtube videos of them please post the videos here. Or download links would also be great.

I will also be having a look through Pouet when I get chance and see what have been voted at the top for each system. I know the Kefrens C64 remake of the Amiga demo Desert Dream will feature towards the top for the C64 as that is an amazing achievement on the C64.

If we can get enough releases together to make a top 10 for each system then we can create an article to feature them all.
[Reply]
Tiago 14:57 20th August 2012
I don't now much about demoscene in Spectrum or other 8 bit, but i was very impressed with some guy from Poland, he's name is Lukhash www.lukhash.com
I interview him for my magazine, nice guy. He does a lot of stuff regarding sound with C64 and Gameboys.
He compose some nice music, really nice music, check his web site and youtube videos, he is a master in C64.
He did put 2 SYD chips in his C64.
Check this spectacular C64 work from him:

[Reply]
Harrison 16:14 20th August 2012
Cool.. using the C64 was a SID keyboard synthesiser. SID chip definitely was great.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:27 20th August 2012
Here is the Commodore 64 remake of the Amiga Kefren's Demo Desert Dream. This is something very special. Remember this is running on 1MHz with 64KB ram!

And here is the original Amiga release to compare:

[Reply]
Teho 17:34 20th August 2012
I wasn't aware of the demoscene during my C64 days, so don't know any good classic demos. But demos are still being made for it, and though I haven't been keeping up with demoscene releases lately I was very impressed by Unicorn from Chorus which was released in 2008. There are some really impressive effects in there but the video doesn't fully do them justice. Just try and imagine that everything you see runs at a silky-smooth 50 fps, even the 3D-objects near the end. Also I really like the music in this one, especially the first and third songs.

[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up