Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Music search
AlexJ 18:55 26th March 2007
There's others I've heard in there, but can't remember the titles of the songs or the artist...
[Reply]
J T 21:17 26th March 2007
A4 is also a KRS-ONE track with the wobbly "woah-yoyo" sample that features in Here comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze

A5 sounds very James Brown-esque

A10 is Money - Charli Baltimore (heard that bassy hook in other records too, though)

A11 - Pick up the pieces - AWB

A12 - I swear I've heard that before, does it have the line "funkier than a mosquito's tweeter"? If so I have it *somewhere*

A17 has Sex Machine - James Brown right at the end of it.

A23 Get up - Vernon Burch

A24 has elements from Groove is in the heart by Dee-Lite (awesome track)

A32 has a elements that sound a lot like a Chemical Brothers track (like Song to the siren perhaps)

A52 has part of another Chemical Brothers track (the 'brothers gonna work it out' part) amd part of the siren sound effect in 53 is from the same track I think.

A59 has me thinking of the theme from Shaft

A66 has the slowed down part from A4 that I though sounded like a KRS-ONE track (which ties in with what AlexJ said about the following track).

Of course, bear in mind that some of the tracks have hooks that have been sampled over and over, so sometimes it is hard to know which song was the original and which 'borrowed' the sample, or if they both 'borrowed' it from someone else in the first place. I recognised many pieces of the various tracks but putting a name on it isn't so easy. Some of these tracks I have on my ipod at the moment too.

Some of that music, especially the earlier funk/soul/blaxploitation like tracks sounds pretty damn neat, I like.
I have similar tracks on a selection I downloaded called "pimp classics" which I can upload at some point, care to trade for rips of your mix CDs? I also have some "superfly soul" compilations I could whack on the FTP.

Also, have you thought about trying to get in touch with the DJ to ask him what some of the tracks are?

Hope I helped a bit, if they are wrong.... um..... tough, I suppose
[Reply]
Submeg 22:04 26th March 2007
Ok these are the ones I already know:
*A010 - For the Love of the Money: The O'Jays
*A018 - Get On The Good Foot: James Brown
*A022 - sounds like Tom Jones: Looking Out My Window or something...
*A025 is the James Bond song....
*A028 - Eye of the Tiger: ?
*A031....I thought it was chemical brothers too, but I have all their albums, not there
*A034 - Know the Ledge: Eric B and Rakim
(A035 and A036 are from the same song)
*A042 - Axel F: Harold Faltermeyer
*A062 - I Believe In Miracles: Jackson Sisters

And this is what has been suggested:

* A4 is featured in Here comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze
* A10 is Money - Charli Baltimore (heard that bassy hook in other records too, though)
* A11 - Pick up the pieces - AWB
* A23 Get up - Vernon Burch
* A24 has elements from Groove is in the heart by Dee-Lite (awesome track)
* A028 almost certainly is 'Eye Of The Tiger'
* A042 is Axel F in one form or another
* A52 has part of another Chemical Brothers track (the 'brothers gonna work it out' part) [what track is that in? thats the one I'm looking for....]
* A59 has me thinking of the theme from Shaft
* A066 is Sound of Da Police by KRS-One

Nice work there ppls. Cheers for the effort!! One of the track I really want to know is: A016! That track is sweet!! I know that its difficult to figure them out, given they are just samples....and I used my voice recorder to record these, so I'm actually surprised at the range of frequencies it was able to pick up.

Lol JT, until I get broadband its never going to work. Mind you, I have extra copies of the two cds, so I could post them to you...and as for asking the DJ's, they have moved away from Adelaide now, so no chance of that. Wish I had done so earlier.
[Reply]
J T 22:16 26th March 2007
Originally Posted by :
* A52 has part of another Chemical Brothers track (the 'brothers gonna work it out' part) [what track is that in? thats the one I'm looking for....]
Could be a remix by them.... a quick google suggests track one of this album perhaps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother's_Gonna_Work_It_Out
[Reply]
Submeg 22:19 26th March 2007
Sweet, cheers man!
[Reply]
rayzorblue 14:11 27th March 2007
OK i cant wait to have a go at this I love music how old are the mix tapes?

Oh and the chemical Brothers are a speciality of mine so if there are any on there i will probably have them.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:17 27th March 2007
A005 - could be Sex Machine? (James Brown)
A028 - Definitely Eye of the Tiger (but not sure the Survivor version, perhaps live)
A042 - Axel F tune

A few of the tunes could be from older TV series, like the Shaft tune from Isaac Hayes. But definitely not my music
[Reply]
Harrison 14:18 27th March 2007
Not my sort of music either. Definitely couldn't listen to it for long. I couldn't get any more than already mentioned. Am now off to switch AC/DC back on
[Reply]
rayzorblue 15:03 27th March 2007
The chemical bros track featured in A52 is Leave home it is the first track on their first album Exit planet dust (before that they were the dust bros)
The guitar hook in A59 is taken from the theme from shaft by Isaac Hayes and reminds me of a slowed down version of Know How by Young MC but not sure if it is
Gonna send it to my brother he should know more than me its not really my kinda music and the quality is appalling lol.
Oh and groove is in the heart contains a sample from Herbie Hancock's track 'Bring Down The Birds' so that could be A24.
[Reply]
J T 18:01 27th March 2007
Cool, we're getting there. How about letting us know the ones you already identified, Submeg.

I really liked the sound of some of this music and am secretly kind of pleased I managed to identify a reasonable number.

I must try and find the CD with Pimp Classics on and upload it to the FTP for you guys.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up