Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Amibench brought back from the grave
Harrison 16:11 9th July 2012
Years ago there was a website called AmiBench. It went offline about 6 years ago because its owner no longer had the time to maintain it (It was this action which prompted us to create Amibay.com).

Now he has finally found someone new to take over the running of the site and has resurrected it.

http://www.amibench.org/

AmiBench is a very simple classified adverts site, similar to Craigslist, to buy and sell Amiga hardware/software. It doesn't have any moderation or rules. Sellers list stuff and buyers contact them to arrange purchase and delivery.

At the moment it doesn't have much at all listed as it's only just getting going again and it will take time to get people posting adverts, but worth keeping an eye on in case something you want pops up for sale near you.

Word of warning. If you trade on AmiBench you won't have any protection. Sellers are free to post what they like and behave however they wish. If a trade goes wrong the buyer and seller will have to sort it out between them, and there is no system in place to warn buyers about bad sellers (scamming, scalping etc).

Use the right payment system to protect yourself. If you do decide to buy something through AmiBench make sure you pay for the item using Paypal with fees, and not Paypal gift payments. Using Fee based payments (even if you pay the fees) will offer you Paypal buyer protection. If something goes wrong with the trade you can then open a dispute with Paypal and claim your money back. Pay by gift payment and you won't get that protection and your money/items will be unprotected and you could lose it.

Shipping. Also make sure you get/send your items by a recorded/tracked method of payment. And if worth anything get it insured too. If the item goes missing you can the claim for your money back. And if selling you can prove you shipped it. This is very important if you ever needed to open a dispute via Paypal.

Most secure and piece of mind trading.
If however you would like much better protection when trading online, with people you don't know, then I highly recommend AmiBay.com On Amibay we have put into place a very strict set of site rules, as well as a strong team of moderators. The site is heavily moderated to protect members so that everyone has a higher chance of a successful trade. The moderators are there to help if something goes wrong with a trade, and any complaints about sellers are fully investigated so that the site doesn't keep anyone who has scammed or scalped members a part of the community.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 23:02 15th July 2012
Amazing.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:52 15th July 2012
And guess who has been looking and listing on Amibench so far? Yep, all those banned from Amibay. Was bound to happen wasn't it?
[Reply]
Phantom 14:30 16th July 2012
Originally Posted by Harrison:
And guess who has been looking and listing on Amibench so far? Yep, all those banned from Amibay. Was bound to happen wasn't it?
I'm not surprised.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:37 17th July 2012
Lets just hope no one gets badly scammed or ripped off by them... especially a few originating from Germany, the USA and Northern UK.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:12 18th July 2012
BinoX isn't a scammer.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:14 19th July 2012
Does look like adverts were pulled from the site. Only a single advert on Amibench at the moment, and that is a link to an ebay sale. Doesn't look like being too popular yet. Hmm...
[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:44 19th July 2012
Early days I guess, but I suppose word will get around eventually. I dare say AmiBay has a big piece of the Amiga market now.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:49 19th July 2012
Very true. Plus the majority of those going over to Amibench are known for their bad trading and will be avoided.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 00:17 20th July 2012
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Very true. Plus the majority of those going over to Amibench are known for their bad trading and will be avoided.
Now now Dave. You can't say that, unless of course, you have personally had a "bad" experience.....

I traded on AmiBench in the earlier days and never had one. - Lucky maybe, but all the same, moot point fella, sorry.

We know of several rogues on the other forums & of course, who is to say they use different names under AmiBench? - Deb had an account on AmiBay, yet she suffered the indignity of a duplicate account because I posted under her name once in a while. My bad for sure, but all the same m8, utter BS, especially when some AmiBay members actually saved expensive & dying cards. - Hello fitzsteve for example. - Where do you draw the line?

Some "rogues" are worse than others for sure, but you know if you talk to me, a spade is a spade & not a shovel.

As I said earlier, BinoX is not a rogue & he now has 2 x 8Mb 72Pin SIMMS in the post thanks to AmiBench. Personally, I don't think he would take too kindly to your accusations, especially with so few actually trading there already. - At least let it try & get off the ground eh.

I wish them all the luck in the world, especially with the way AmiBay got managed. The forums speak for themselves, & I really hate forums tbh. When it comes to Forums, Mind warping facial & expressionless wh0re holes springs to mind.

Those who really do know me; ......know different of course.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up