Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Elite II, III, FFE D3D and others
Tiago 14:50 12th June 2012
Hi,
i always liked Elite frontier, and i want to play it again.
but theres is Frontier First Encounters (Elite III) that look good, and also a better graphics version called:
FFE D3D and also a glFFE (direct3d and open GL) some version as FFE but with better graphics?

http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires...ffe.html#glffe

there is also Frontier for AGA, that some people say that has to many bugs....

so, i want to try FFE, but what version? normal FFE of one of those new versions? Did you play it?
[Reply]
Harrison 23:04 12th June 2012
Have you ever played the original? It was quite different to Frontier as it has 8 galaxies and procedurally created solar systems. The game engine was also very different with an arcade style, with ships behaving more like planes in an atmosphere, rather than the real physics style of Frontier. The arcade controls made combat much more fun.

If you want to try it look at Oolite, which is a modern remake of the original with much improved graphics. http://www.oolite.org

As for First Encounters, it is really just feels like an update of the PC version of Frontier to play. It was also very buggy and took years of patches to fix most of them. It is worth trying as a fan of Elite. But play FFE D3D instead of the original as it is an updated remake with bugs fixed and improved graphics.

I remember really enjoying the original BBC Micro version of Elite; we played it every lunch hour in the secondary school computer rooms. But It was Frontier I was really addicted to. Loved that game and spent months on it.

However, these days I prefer the X series, with X3 being really good.
[Reply]
Tiago 12:42 20th June 2012
I tested:

- FFE D3D
- oolite
- Pionner space sim

oolite: similar to Elite I, better graphics, but it's not the same, it's based on, but a bit different

FFE D3D: didn't try this one, i found to many websites/post saying that was to buggy.

Pioneer space sim: This one looks really good, it's very similar, almost equal to Elite Frontier, menus/buttons are the same, it's almost the same game with much better graphics. the game is impressive, i love it. But, it has a problem so far, it's Alfa version, so not a final-stage-game.
The save game will not work with new release. Actual number is 23, so when 24 is out, your saves will not work. And a game like this without a saving game system.....it does not work for me. But looks realy good, if saves were working from relaese to release i would play it for sure.

So.... what i will do? I think that playing Elite Frontier again should be the best....
anyone tried any of theses games?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up