Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: PS2 Modchip
Submeg 22:56 20th April 2012
Hi people,

I was wondering you can still chip a PS2 to let it play burn cds?
[Reply]
Buleste 08:26 21st April 2012
There are still companies that sell PS2 and ps1 modchips out there.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:13 23rd April 2012
I think all of the official mod chip developers and makers have now stopped supporting the platform and moved on to newer systems. But I think there are still some Chinese companies cloning the best of the PS2 Mod chips, so you should be able to find one of those.

Out of the chips released over the years, the Matrix Infinity was one of the best. I've got it in a slim, and it's an excellent chip. http://www.modchip.org/product_info....roducts_id=435
[Reply]
Buleste 07:28 23rd April 2012
I've managed to get a PS1 modchip from www.eurasia.nu but as Harrison said modchips for older systems are no longer being developed (no point).
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 09:39 23rd April 2012
I have also a Matrix Infinity in my slim, and an older DMS3 in the fat one, both are really good, but as Harrison already mentioned, Matrix Infinity is probably the best.
[Reply]
Submeg 11:52 23rd April 2012
will the Matrix Infinity work in a fat one? (Yes I have an original PS2!!!)
[Reply]
Harrison 11:58 23rd April 2012
Yes, it is compatible with all revisions of the PS2 from v3 to v19. So all PAL PS2s are covered. I've you are still uncertain then post the actual model number and I will double check it for you, but all should work.

An alternative to a mod chip for a Phat PS2 is to buy the Network/HDD interface. You can find these on ebay for around £25. You can then use an internal IDE HDD and boot ISOs directly from there. I've not tried this method myself, but it is meant to work really well. I think you also need a specific boot disc or a memory card to complete this method. If anyone else knows please post some details. Otherwise I can find out for you as I also wanted to try this method as I have a Phat PS2 as well that is in its box not doing much, so it would be fun to play around with a HDD setup. I've got some spare 200GB HDDs here so would be ideal.
[Reply]
Submeg 23:41 24th April 2012
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Yes, it is compatible with all revisions of the PS2 from v3 to v19. So all PAL PS2s are covered. I've you are still uncertain then post the actual model number and I will double check it for you, but all should work.

An alternative to a mod chip for a Phat PS2 is to buy the Network/HDD interface. You can find these on ebay for around £25. You can then use an internal IDE HDD and boot ISOs directly from there. I've not tried this method myself, but it is meant to work really well. I think you also need a specific boot disc or a memory card to complete this method. If anyone else knows please post some details. Otherwise I can find out for you as I also wanted to try this method as I have a Phat PS2 as well that is in its box not doing much, so it would be fun to play around with a HDD setup. I've got some spare 200GB HDDs here so would be ideal.
The reason I want to chip my PS2 is because I have a game called Dance Factory and I want the PS2 to be able to recognise burnt compilations so I can make my own soundtrack to it. Model number is: SCPH-50002
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 08:51 25th April 2012
SCPH-50002 is a v9 board (GH-023).
[Reply]
Harrison 11:04 25th April 2012
Yep, so that will work perfectly with the Matrix Infinity.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up