Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Looking to buy a preloaded hdd for a1200
Loftus 00:09 24th February 2012
Finally upgraded to a A1200 after seeing one in a local paper for £25 (boxed and in real nice condition - even came with a midi thing and waaay too much software that i will ever use!!)

Have been looking into buying a preloaded whdload hdd and was just wondering what the pro's and cons between a CF FFS drive or a 2.5 SFS drive are and which one to go for.

i realise its probably something i could do my self but not being to sure about the in's and out's of how to do it, around £30 isn't much for the hdd and everthing preloaded on.

also the a1200 is standard with 2meg ram, would that cause too many issues apart from being unable to play some top end games?

thanks for any help in advance!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:34 6th June 2012
You'd be better off with a 2.5" hard drive if you want a little better performance over CF media.

Also, if you want to play WHDLoad games, you are going to need at least 4Mb fast ram to participate.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:48 7th June 2012
Agreed. I hate CF cards for Amiga HDDs. They are just too unreliable and it is a nightmare getting them to work if you can actually find a CF card that is compatible (different cards of the same make can randomly be good or not work, which is annoying). If you really wanted to go the CF card root then Sandisk is the only make I would recommend.

And regarding a preinstalled CF or HD. No need. Just look at the ClassicWB, which is a set of preconfigured Workbench setups. It has WHDLoad already configured and ready to go. All you do is download the ClassicWB package you want to use, copy the files to the Amiga HDD, boot the Amiga or WinUAE and the ClassicWB package will ask for each Workbench floppy in turn to complete its own install, and once finished you have a nicely configured Workbench ready to go. then just copy the WHDLoad games you want onto the drive and away you go. For the games look at KillerGorilla's WHDLoad game packs. These are preinstalled and configured WHDLoad game directories you just copy to your HDD and play. Every game supported by WHDload is included in the packs. You really won't need anything else.

And I also second the commend by Kin about fast ram. To run WHDLoad games you need some fast ram. An accelerator isn't required, but a ram expansion with at least 4MB fast ram is definitely the minimum to get. With 8MB preferred.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up