Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: A4000 - i will have one next week - question
Andrew1971 18:53 22nd January 2012
Tiago that should clean ok as most of it looks like dust from standing. That poor little ic next to battary leak seen better days. lets hope it cleans up ok and works as it should
A good find.
Many Thanks
Andrew1971
[Reply]
Harrison 12:53 23rd January 2012
It didn't look too bad in the first few pictures, but once the battery is removed and you show the closer images it does look like it has leaked quite a bit. Although as Andrew said, a lot of it also looks like just dirt and cleaning the board as I will mention next will remove that.

The first thing to do is neutralise the leaked battery. To do this use vinegar. When you put vinegar onto the areas it might fizz. This is reacting with the leak from the battery and neutralising it. Keep cleaning it with vinegar until it stops reacting. Then clean everything carefully with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). That will make sure the leak is completely stopped and won't continue to cause any more damage. Only then will you be able to see the real damage.

The sound issue is most likely the 2 capacitors closest to the audio ports, so they will need replacing and that should fix that (hopefully).

For the mouse, you will need to trace back the mouse port pins to the U975 chip which controls it and see if all the pins are still connected. Just do this using a multimeter and check for continuity between the pins and legs of the chip. The battery corrosion might have broken the connection between certain pins and these will need to be repaired.
[Reply]
Tiago 17:12 23rd January 2012
Thanks for the advice,
Harrison, the leak i had the some problem with the A501, that i solved the problem, but this is a much bigger leak... but i will try.
The capacitors, i have a friend that has good tools for that, he did replacements before, so i will ask him.

for the mouse, yes i will use a multimeter. fingers cross!
[Reply]
Andrew1971 11:53 1st February 2012
Tiago
How you getting on with the A4000. Its good to see people repair + restore old computers instead of some been binned and been used again. Who are the true recyclers.
Many Thanks
Andrew1971
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up