Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Bought three old Amigas, now what?
Mzwo 16:53 28th November 2011
Hi,

hope this is the right place to ask this sort of thing.

as suggested above, I recently got hold of two A500 and one A600. They all start up as they should (no funny colours, although the A600 gives me glimpse of blue before going back to white), but seem to differ in performance. Some disks the one A500 doesn't like are happily read by the other, the A600 doesn't appear to like most of the disks I got with it, occassionally the machines appear to stop (or am I just to darn inpatient?), etc, etc.

My question hence: Is there anything I should do the machines (such as: clean, screw on, check, etc)?

Also: The A600 has Workbench installed on the HD (no idea which version) which seems to be corrupted. I can't open any tools or edit preferences, for instance. Any point in formatting and reinstalling? And how do I go about doing this?

Cheers,
Matt
[Reply]
Harrison 05:14 29th November 2011
Hi,

If you have the Workbench disks that came with the A600 originally then it is fairly easy to reinstall Workbench from scratch. Do you know what size the HD is?

Of possible I would also open them up and make sure all the chips are seated fully, especially the kickstart chips, and on the A500's the other custom chips are also socketed so they can come loose too.
[Reply]
Mzwo 13:37 30th November 2011
thanks, I'll see to that.

regarding size of HD: no idea. How do I find out?

Thanks,
Matt
[Reply]
Harrison 15:12 30th November 2011
You can look at the HDD physically. It will have the size on the label.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up