Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Hardware problem?
eskimo.fi 05:51 10th October 2011
Hi everyone!
Im new on this forum so please be gently!

I got an issue,
i found my two Amiga A500 couple days ago.
I plugged power on and nothing happens.
No power led on etc.

Tested that power comes to motherboard but but, dont get it.
Both Amigas do the same :<

Plz, help me.

-eskimo.fi
[Reply]
Harrison 06:32 10th October 2011
Hi, and welcome.

As you are not getting any power it sounds like the power supply brick, rather than the Amiga's themselves.

Do you have 2 power supplies, or just one?

If you have a multimeter you could test the output to see if it is producing anything.
[Reply]
eskimo.fi 06:47 10th October 2011
Yes i have 2 power supplies and with both of them the same thing.

I have tested with multimeter and the power comes from power supply to motherboard in both occasions.

Im out of ideas.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:42 10th October 2011
OK, so power is getting to the Amiga and with the multimeter it was 12V and 5V? It could still be the PSUs not providing enough power.

With no Power LED on the Amiga it definitely sounds like a hardware issue. The next step is to open the Amiga up, remove the top metal shield and examine the motherboard in detail to make sure you can't see anything really obvious like a blown/bulging capacitor. Or it could be something as simple as a grounding issue. Make sure the shielding inside the case is correctly screwed down and not touching anything, and no stray screws are loose anywhere.

If that is all OK then I personally would try another PSU that I know is working to rule it out completely, but without one available that can be hard. It is quite easy to convert a PC ATX PSU to power an Amiga. If you wanted to try that let me know and I can dig out some pinouts diagrams for you. Its pretty easy as you only need to utilise a 4 pin Molex on a PC PSU to the Amiga to power it.

Failing all that the final thing would be the Amiga's custom chipset.
[Reply]
eskimo.fi 17:52 10th October 2011
Thanks for the answer!
Ill look inside the amiga and try all screws etc.

It would be nice if you can get those pinouts diagrams, i got lots of atx psu:s on my closet
[Reply]
Harrison 19:42 10th October 2011
All the PSU details needed can be found at http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._supplies.html

The author even makes his own adapters for about £10 so you don't need to manually hack a PC PSU up, but doing it manually isn't too hard.

The main thing to consider is that Commodore were never consistent with their wiring colour schemes or the wiring layouts inside the PSUs themselves, so it is best to instead use a multimeter and identify the correct pinouts based on:

power-plug.JPG

[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up