Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Dell U2410 on the Amiga
pedrorq 21:32 1st October 2014
I actually purchased the U2410, used, on eBay, as I had read it was 100% compatible with the Amiga (I read somewhere the U2412M does not display all 15KHz resolutions), and am now slightly disappointed to witness this behaviour on PIP

I also have a Dell 2001FP and every time it starts, on full screen VGA, the behaviour is similar - screen moved to the left. But in that case, as it's full screen, I can adjust it properly (although it becomes painful doing it on every reboot)
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 10:38 2nd October 2014
Unfortunately I think you are just going to have to put up with it. The monitors specification doesn't actually say it will support the Amiga modes, and you usually have to take pot luck with these things anyway. Personally, I'm grateful that it works as well as it does.

Are there many other monitors around these days which will work with the Amiga's 15kHz modes?

Originally Posted by :
I also have a Dell 2001FP and every time it starts, on full screen VGA, the behaviour is similar - screen moved to the left. But in that case, as it's full screen, I can adjust it properly (although it becomes painful doing it on every reboot)
Are you adjusting the monitor on each reboot, or adjusting the Amiga on each reboot?
[Reply]
pedrorq 13:10 3rd October 2014
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
Unfortunately I think you are just going to have to put up with it. The monitors specification doesn't actually say it will support the Amiga modes, and you usually have to take pot luck with these things anyway. Personally, I'm grateful that it works as well as it does.

Are there many other monitors around these days which will work with the Amiga's 15kHz modes?
Severall Dell models do: ST2320L, ST2420L, SR2320L, U2412M. The U2410 has several features that make them appealing to Amiga users (PIP, 16:10, etc), hence my choice

Originally Posted by :
Are you adjusting the monitor on each reboot, or adjusting the Amiga on each reboot?
For each Amiga reboot (or cold boot), I have to adjust the monitor.

This doesn't happen on composite though, but the image quality of composite is inferior to the RGB-VGA.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:57 3rd October 2014
That sounds a bit strange. Do you have any other Amigas that you could try, to see if it happen on any others?

My monitor seems to remember the settings fine for my A1200.
[Reply]
pedrorq 15:22 6th October 2014
That sounds a bit strange. Do you have any other Amigas that you could try, to see if it happen on any others?

My monitor seems to remember the settings fine for my A1200.
I can probably try my A600 to see if the same thing happens, but I think the issue is reported by many other Amiga enthusiasts who have the Dell 2001FP

Guess I have yet to find the "perfect" Amiga monitor
[Reply]
jdryyz 16:47 6th October 2014
I am considering the purchase of the U2410 for use with my A500. As I intend to use it full screen (4:3), the PiP option is not important to me. I am only concerned about how smoothly the vertical and horizontal scrolling is in both NTSC and PAL HiRes screenmodes.

Interlace mode is just a curiosity, as there are only a few games that use that display mode, but it would be nice if it handles that good as well.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:45 6th October 2014
Originally Posted by jdryyz:
I am considering the purchase of the U2410 for use with my A500. As I intend to use it full screen (4:3), the PiP option is not important to me. I am only concerned about how smoothly the vertical and horizontal scrolling is in both NTSC and PAL HiRes screenmodes.

Interlace mode is just a curiosity, as there are only a few games that use that display mode, but it would be nice if it handles that good as well.
Hi jdryyz.

By scrolling, do you mean like in games? If so, then its OK. Its not as good as a CRT monitor, but I'd say its quite usable.

The interlaced modes do work on the U2410. I'll post a picture later on.
[Reply]
jdryyz 17:56 6th October 2014
Yes, mostly as it pertains to games, but I would hope text-based scrolling (via the Workbench) would also look good. I would be curious about both interlaced and non-interlaced screen performance with regard to vertical scrolling. Any artifacts?

Hi jdryyz.

By scrolling, do you mean like in games? If so, then its OK. Its not as good as a CRT monitor, but I'd say its quite usable.

The interlaced modes do work on the U2410. I'll post a picture later on.

[Reply]
Stephen Coates 04:52 8th October 2014
For scrolling in games, its not as good as a CRT monitor. There is a little bit of blurring, but whether or not that is a problem would be a matter of personal preference.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:11 8th October 2014
That's more an issue with how LCD screen technology works compared to CRT. Remember you removing flickering too which is a big plus over CRT, especially in higher interlaced screenmodes.

But the best way to get the best image is still to use an Amiga scan doubler and flicker fixer, such as an Indivision, or the cheaper GBS8220.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Up