Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Which HD disc format will end up being the standard?
Which HD disc format will end up being the standard?
  • View Poll Results

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14
    Thread: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
    Submeg 10:39 12th December 2007
    Looks like it shall be over soon...? Where are those pr0n producers at?
    [Reply]
    Buleste 10:40 12th December 2007
    I think the greatest problem for Blu-Ray is also it's greatest asset. Over 70% of Blu-Ray machines sold are PS3's. I think most people are trying HD-DVD because they know what a DVD is and they think HD stands for HiDef so as far as non tech minded people are concerned HD-DVD is just better quality DVD's whereas BluRay says nothing about what it does as "It sounds more like a Laser Tag game than anything else and as it's being supplied with a games console then thats all it is is a game. Isn't it?" The last bit isn't a quote but it sounds like something that the man on the street would say, but then he's homeless so he doesn't give a toss about electronics unless they are to heat him up. O.K i'm rambling now. I'll go have a lie down....
    [Reply]
    AlexJ 12:18 12th December 2007
    I personally think making a clean break with the title is the better way to go. HD DVD has created confusion with people with HDTV's and standard DVD players purchasing the HD-DVD's and wondering why they don't play. CD's weren't called 'Digital Records'.
    [Reply]
    Submeg 12:38 12th December 2007
    Originally Posted by AlexJ:
    I personally think making a clean break with the title is the better way to go. HD DVD has created confusion with people with HDTV's and standard DVD players purchasing the HD-DVD's and wondering why they don't play. CD's weren't called 'Digital Records'.
    Yep that would have stumped me
    [Reply]
    TiredOfLife 12:58 12th December 2007
    We have a winner - Blue Ray.
    Say out loud HD DVD disk and then Blue Ray disk.
    [Reply]
    Submeg 20:40 12th December 2007
    so HD DVD sounds like:

'paigh'pH"sFKFHBoibgOJWBFKLADL;W;SLDJBLJKAENlkergfsljdbweunbdlefnvilsekfbc;sgbs;dgfas
    sdkfsef;kebkjsabfjsdbfksdbfjksd....

and Blu Ray sounds like:

Blu Ray.

wow, yep I see the point
    [Reply]
    J T 21:26 13th December 2007
    So by how much were regular old DVDs outselling the fancy new higher-capacity formats?

I'm going to bet it was around 97% regular DVDs, 3% HD formats.

And I think that's being quite generous really.
    [Reply]
    Sharingan 06:01 14th December 2007
    Originally Posted by J T:
    So by how much were regular old DVDs outselling the fancy new higher-capacity formats?

I'm going to bet it was around 97% regular DVDs, 3% HD formats.

And I think that's being quite generous really.

That's about it, I think. The majority of people don't even have a HD capable TV yet, so it'll be a while before high def video starts gaining momentum.
    [Reply]
    AlexJ 09:39 14th December 2007
    Originally Posted by Sharingan:
    That's about it, I think. The majority of people don't even have a HD capable TV yet, so it'll be a while before high def video starts gaining momentum.
    There's also the fact that a DVD for a new movie is around £12 while the HDDVD/BluRay version of the same film is around £20. Most people are not going to accept that HD is worth twice the price of the standard film.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 12:31 14th December 2007
    Actually, most DVDs can now be picked up for under £5 only a couple of months after their release, which makes HD formats even less appealing. Also for anyone with an HDTV, the upscaling technology in newer DVD players and HD format players makes the lower resolution DVD images look good enough for all but the most essential films.

Even once I do buy into an HD format, which will most likely be Blu-Ray once I buy a PS3, I won't go mad and buy most of my existing DVD collection again. A lot of films just wouldn't make that much difference or impact at a higher resolution. The exception has to be Sci-Fi, as most in that genre would benefit form the increase resolution and detail and I would re-buy many of those. I might finally be able to see the Millennium Falcon coming in to dock in Star Wars Episode 3!!!
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14
    Up