Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Which HD disc format will end up being the standard?
Which HD disc format will end up being the standard?
  • View Poll Results

2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Thread: Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
    AlexJ 17:04 17th January 2008
    As far as I can tell, current Blu-Ray players will still play all future Blu-Ray discs, but some of the special features will be unavailable. Kinda like how a cheapo DVD player can play the DVD fine, but might not be able to output the DTS soundtrack.

Originally Posted by :
    With one company dominating music, films, TV, Consoles and hardware manufacture it leads to stagnation and lack of choice plus it allows for a small group of people to dictate what we buy, play, listen to and watch which is never a good thing.
    There was one CD format, and one DVD format after Sony gave up their competing format early on - I don't recall there being problems there. Anyone can release on Blu-Ray, and although Sony are widely credited as BR being their format, it's future is dictated by the "Blu-ray Disc Association" who founded with 9 members (including other electronics companies like Panasonic, Phillips, LG, Samsung, Sharp) and now have 18 board member and 65 contributing companies deciding how the format progresses.

It's by no-means a one-vendor process dictating where Blu-Ray is heading.
    [Reply]
    Buleste 18:22 17th January 2008
    Originally Posted by LowercaseE:
    Originally Posted by Buleste:
    Which makes me even more anti Sony as that means they then dominate two different markets giving the consumer even less choice as to which is the better product and allowing one corporation to influence what we play and what we watch in one very foul swoop.
    I think you and I will get along well.
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good or a bad thing?
    [Reply]
    LowercaseE 21:00 17th January 2008
    Originally Posted by LowercaseE:
    Which makes me even more anti Sony as that means they then dominate two different markets giving the consumer even less choice as to which is the better product and allowing one corporation to influence what we play and what we watch in one very foul swoop.
    I think you and I will get along well.
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good or a bad thing?
    I'd say a good thing. The more hate for Sony, the better!
    [Reply]
    Stephen Coates 16:22 18th January 2008
    EDIT: This was a reply to the bottom of page 2. I didn't realise there was a page 3.

Would that really be surprising if HD-DVD is better quality?

Apparently Betamax was better quality than VHS, but VHS still won.. (Price and more storage space right?)

Can Blueray store more information than HDDVD?

I'm with Harrison on the Sony thing. I have used quite a few Sony products and have always been happy. Especially with their televisions.

Now going back to the latest posts, I don't see whats wrong with the PS3 having Blu ray. Isn't it similar to the PS2, where some people would have a PS2 rather than buying a seperate DVD player? At least if the PS3 has bluray, those who want a PS3 get the added conveniance of a blu ray player, and those that don't want a PS3 but do want blu ray can buy their own blu ray player.
    [Reply]
    Demon Cleaner 16:25 18th January 2008
    With BluRay v2 it can now do the same as HD-DVD.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 16:35 18th January 2008
    Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
    EDIT: This was a reply to the bottom of page 2. I didn't realise there was a page 3.

Would that really be surprising if HD-DVD is better quality?
    It isn't. The two formats support exactly the same encoding formats.

Originally Posted by :
    Apparently Betamax was better quality than VHS, but VHS still won.. (Price and more storage space right?
    Betamax was better quailty. That is why it went on to be the industry standard in the professional market. It only actually failed in the consumer market. I expect you have seen DigiBeta video cameras used a lot in the news.

But as you say, VHS tapes were bigger and could record more per tape.

Originally Posted by :
    Can Blueray store more information than HDDVD?
    Yes, as detailed in my post on the past page of this thread, Single layer Blu-Ray holds 25GB compared to 15GB for HD-DVD, and dual layer Blu-Ray holds 54GB compared to 30GB for HD-DVD.

Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
    With BluRay v2 it can now do the same as HD-DVD.
    Really? What has been changed?

The only real differences between the two discs standards were that HD-DVD had a better mandate for audio over BR. Has this now been changed?

Oh and the other difference is the BR uses BD-J open source java for it's interactive content, whereas HD-DVD using a proprietor Microsoft language for its.
    [Reply]
    Demon Cleaner 16:41 18th January 2008
    BluRay v2 has more features now. You can also now stream 2 videos, like the commentary, which was always only audio, is now also video. Retrieve infromation via internet, discuss movies over internet in a group, and other internet features.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 17:05 18th January 2008
    Oh right, I know what you mean. This is the player profiles, with 3 versions up to now, used as the minimum set of standards required for a Blu-Ray player to support. These started with the profile BD-Video (profile 1), then Bonus Video (profile 1.1), and now BD-Live (profile 2).

The first profile, BD-Video supported all but the internet connection capability, but all features were optional. With the Bonus Video Profile was added, making all the additional features Mandatory (all players had to support them), and now the latest BD-Live (Profile 2) adds Internet connection capability to the list and makes it mandatory.

Due to this having been handled in these profile stages, those who bought into the profile 1 specification players are now complaining because they can't access any of these more recent additions to the format. But the Blu-Ray consortium argues that they can still access the main video and audio parts, just not the additional content, and it was never stated at the time that they would be able to.

For these reasons the PS3 is going to remain the only Blu-Ray player worth buying as it will be updated to support new player profiles as they become available. For other standalone players it will always require them to be replaced.
    [Reply]
    AlexJ 21:32 18th January 2008
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    Betamax was better quailty. That is why it went on to be the industry standard in the professional market. It only actually failed in the consumer market. I expect you have seen DigiBeta video cameras used a lot in the news.
    Actually news programmes are one of the few where DigiBeta isn't king, due to the conditions etc. DVCAM is often used to make news reports. Most regular programmes though would fail QC if they used DVCAM due to the murkyness of the pictures in comparison to DigiBeta.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 21:56 18th January 2008
    That is true, for out in the field work DV offers smaller tapes and lighter equipment.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Up