Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: MSX1 to MSX2+ board.
Buleste 12:09 12th September 2011
Just found this (mainly because I've just bought myself a MSX for the first time in over 20 years), a project that apparently can turn a MSX into a MSX2+. The websites in Portuguese but here is a Google translation version.
Originally Posted by :
As disclosed in the list MSXBR-L, our good friend Ricardo Oazem is willing to design, develop and manufacture a new kit MSX2 we're calling KIT MSX2 + +, since it presents a considerable improvement compared to kits that already existed market.

The Oazem's own request, I will be responsible for management, research interest and who knows, the list of applications of this new product.
Features of the new kit:

VDP 2 +
FM Stereo
IDE Controller
Memory Mapper 512Kb
Outputs composite video, s-video and RGB (using CXA)
internal Clock

Cost: R$ 400.00 to R$ 450.00. (£150.00 to £170)
The value of reserves has not been defined, it depends on the number of stakeholders.
Delivery time: 2 and a half months (after the start of production).

This post is nothing more than an FAQ about the new KIT ​​MSX 2 + + Oazem that is developing. I will always be updating this topic and just go find it in Project page MSX 2 + + that there will be a link pointing to this post.

So let the questions and especially answers!

Q: This new project is a full plate or is a kit for use with the original board of the computer.
A: It is a kit to be installed along with the original board of the computer.

Q: Will I be able to install it on my Hotbit?
A: Yes! The kit will be compatible not only with the Hotbit, but also with the Expert (except Plus DDPlus).

Q: I have a DDPlus (or Plus), can I install it?
A: For now the answer is: Maybe! How do we know DDPlus (and Plus) has its own peculiarities. After building the first prototype we have this definitive answer.

Q: I have not seen the RTC (clock chip) in the product specification. It will not have watch?
A: There will be yes!

P: The kit will be installed in "scheme PIGBACK"? This gives a very bad touch!
A: No! The idea is that the kit is a bad soldier, thus avoiding any contact.

Q: How will the expansion slots?
A: The final disposition of the slots, should be the user's taste however, I will expand one of the slots to contain the M. mapper, the Sub Rom, msx-music and IDE
This slot to be expanded, can be chosen from the slots 1, 2 or 3
(Slot 0 belongs to ROM)
EX1:
If the slot is the second choice then:
Slot_0 = ROM
Slot_1 = external connector (A)
Slot_2.0 = RAM (m. mapper 512k)
SROM = Slot_2.1
Slot_2.2 = msx-music (bios FM)
Slot_2.3 = IDE
Slot_3 = external connector (B) EX2:
If the slot is chosen then the third
Slot_0 = ROM
Slot_1 = external connector (A)
Slot_2 = external connector (B)
Slot_3.0 = RAM (m. mapper 512k)
SROM = Slot_3.1
Slot_3.2 = msx-music (bios FM)
Slot_3.3 = IDE
* I personally prefer this distribution, for being the most common among imported micros (SLOT_1 SLOT_2 connector A and B connector)

Q: How do I know where to weld?
A: The kit will be accompanied by an instruction manual. This will be available for download here on the blog too.

Q: I have no way to weld, how can I do to set up my kit?
A: Any electronic technician will be able to install the kit following the instructions.

Q: The IDE is built on the board or be placed in a slot only?
A: The logic of IDE controller is built into the circuit of KIT. There will be a "cartridge" separately.

That's it.
Send your question by e-mail (ritchosam@hotmail.com) or comment.
Not the cheapest but could well be a cheaper alternative than buying a MSX2+ and shipping it to the UK (for me at least).
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up