Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: QNAP TurboNAS TS-659 Pro II
Demon Cleaner 18:15 26th July 2011
I set it up yesterday, with 6 Hitachi Deskstar 5k3000 2TB disks, and set it to Raid 5 mode. This was done very fast, I was quite surprised, the NAS did the whole Raid 5 configuration in about 10 minutes.

I also started copying my stuff to it, still will need longer time until everything is copied, but so far I'm happy with the transfer rate, which stays constantly at 70MB/s. Only copying from my main disk was a bit painful, as that one is always spinning because torrents are up/downloading, and so I only got 10MB/s.

You can find all of the information about the QNAP TurboNAS TS-659 Pro II here.

[Reply]
Harrison 00:25 28th July 2011
It does look like a very nice NAS, and I can tell you are already much happier than you were with the Buffalo unit you tried some time ago.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:29 28th July 2011
Definitely a lot happier than with the Buffalo Terastation. But I'm glad I sent that back at that time, it was painfully slow, and just imagine, that was only 1TB, I could have put other HDDs inside, but still, that wouldn't have increased the speed, and copying even more files would have been an even slower process.

I now copied already most of my stuff there, giving me already 2 spare disks in my tower, one of which I use now mainly for movies. My PS3 and Dreamcast games are now stored on the NAS, and also my barebone backup, which I can now access from every PC.

My new Mede8er also works fine with it, only had to do some research to get it working, as the Multimedia folder is by default locked, and from the media player I couldn't access it via admin or other user defined account. I then saw that there's also privileges for guests, which has default denied access, so I set that to read only, and eventually got it working.

I also set up the NAS to send my notifications of any problems or errors via mail and SMS, works fine, and it's quite nice to know if your NAS has a problem when you're not home or next to it (doesn't replace girlfriend though )

I would say that I don't use most of the applications and functions it offers, but it's always nice to know that you have them and can use them at any time.

So far, 100% thumbs up for the Qnap
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 22:20 28th July 2011
As I copied my movies to a new disk now, I still had to copy 1 movie to the NAS. It was 15GB in one file, and it was transferred with an average of 90MB/s, which is quite amazing.
[Reply]
J T 08:51 4th August 2011
Good grief, that's quite the NAS setup you have there - some serious gear.

I'm currently using a 1TB WD thingy that I bought on special earlier in the year, which is positively runty in comparison.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:40 4th August 2011
Are you going to test any of the additional features on this NAS? I would be interested in find out how good the built in print server is, and also the Bit Torrent server. I also read it supports Acronis True Image which would be great to use for OS backups.

I'm also really interested in this device as I read some more about it and found out it can be used as an HTTP and MySQL server, which would be brilliant for use as a web development test server. It also seems to support Joomla which is interesting. And even Telnet and SSH login. So in theory this could actually be used as a full server out of the box. Quite cool.

Also noticed they make 4 and 5 bay versions that cost a lot less. I would probably only need a 4 bay one for video editing and photography storage.

Final question. Do you know what their customer support is like? After looking around their website I'm impressed with the content. I was previously interested in the Synology NAS's but have read a lot of bad forum posts about their customer support, and also issues with their NAS software locking users out of the system if a host PC crashes, so it seems that company's products are to be avoided and you definitely made the right choice with QNAP.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:47 4th August 2011
I didn't test the Bit Torrent feature yet, as I think there's no need for me, as my PC is running 24/7 anyway, and it's easier to manage.

I don't need the print server.

Might check out the Acronis True Image feature, as I have my backups at the moment on a local disk, which is not the best, although I don't hope that all the disks collapse together in one go. I'm also using Acronis True Image, so it might recognize the backups, will let you know later.

My friend who told me to get the Qnap, told me that their support is amazing. He installed a firmware on his device which was very new, and quickly later he noticed that it was removed again from their website, and he had problems with it, not getting the NAS to work anymore. So he called support, they replied immediately, and the guy from Qnap connected himself to his NAS and fixed the problem straight away, making him able to use his NAS again, only 15 minutes after calling.

At my work there's about 5 people using Qnap NAS because of him, who told everybody that it's really worth the price, not only for the quality and features of the device, but also for their great support.

TESTED: I'm currently making a backup with Acronis True Image to the NAS using the Acronis True Image inbuilt FTP connection, works very well.
[Reply]
webdevii 15:03 30th September 2011
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I set it up yesterday, with 6 Hitachi Deskstar 5k3000 2TB disks, and set it to Raid 5 mode. This was done very fast, I was quite surprised, the NAS did the whole Raid 5 configuration in about 10 minutes.

I also started copying my stuff to it, still will need longer time until everything is copied, but so far I'm happy with the transfer rate, which stays constantly at 70MB/s. Only copying from my main disk was a bit painful, as that one is always spinning because torrents are up/downloading, and so I only got 10MB/s.

You can find all of the information about the QNAP TurboNAS TS-659 Pro II

I dont know how your experience was with buffalo, but mine was terrible. 2 weeks after I had my unit it failed with an E07 logic board failure, we did the rma dealy got the mind you refurbished replacement unit, keeping in mind my unit was less than 2 weeks old, I felt short changed, but let it go. 2 months later same error E07 Logic Board Failure, once again did the RMA thingy mind you both RMA's were Advanced to be sure I did not get my same unit back. It has been running now for 3 months with no errors so far. Other than the unit being faulty oob, it was a nice unit, if you had lots and lots of free time to put up with the slooooww transfer speeds. So I began digging and found Synology and Qnap as 2 of a possibility of 3 or 4 others I wont even mention the names, I know from past experience with those companies they are junk oob. With all that heartburn and work, I found someone that offered me $400.00 Cash for the Buffalo I even tossed in my totally legal collection of software, movies and music

I just wanted to be done with it. Although with the sale of that came the agreement of me coming to his house to install the unit. I would rather do that than have the customer attempt it and jack everything all up.

So now that the saga of the failing Buffalo is over with, I just purchased the Qnap TS659 Pro II with 5 x 2TB Deskstar drives installed.

The question I have for you since you seem to have the same drives and I do believe the same unit, did you notice a big performance data transfer rates and what not. I do have Verizon Fiber Optic service with 50/50 synchronous bandwidth along with a dynamic IP.

With the Buffalo I was averaging 25 - 40 Mbs at best on the transfer rate up or down. Does it seem like the Qnap out performs the Buffalo. I so much wanted to have the Constellation drives installed but but got stuck short on cash so I had to go with the Hitachi Deskstar Consumer drives.

Also another question for you, I currently have all of the data that will eventually be installed onto the nas in the form of One File Rar's, the unit I have this data sitting on is a Startech 4 Bay Raid Box that plugs into my eSata controller. Can I direct connect the Startech to the Qnap and do a direct data transfer to the device? Or do I need to do it over the Network, as was with the Buffalo.

The only reason the Startech is in the picture is to be able to have space to archive up all the data into oone file rar's then transfer them to the Qnap. This way anyone downloading for one can just download 1 file, and for 2 if Qnap is anything like buffalo it will make any multi file folder into a zip called download.zip which I found proved too unreliable.

Thank You for listening and putting up with my bitching and whining, I do have plenty of cheese and a bottle of real wine. hehe haha just had too toss in a bit of humor to lighten the load.

Thank You in advance for anything you can do....
Regards
Rob
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 08:50 29th August 2013
My NAS is almost full now, only have 400MB left, and this is because of the loads of 1080p movies and series, which take now already 6.5TB of space.

I already deleted some of my retro stuff, as I mentioned in another thread I think, and I also deleted not needed stuff, like the japanese DC set. Also cross checked most of the stuff, as the US and EU sets basically contain a lot of the same stuff.

I even removed all my PS3 games from the NAS a while ago, and stored it locally, as it has already 2TB in size.

So I came to the conclusion to buy a new NAS.

Upgrading is not really an option, as I would have to remove all the 6 2TB disks to replace them with 3TB ones, 4TB being still way too expensive. And that would leave me still with "only" 18TB, minus the Raid 5, and to be even more on the safer side, I would like to be in Raid 6.

So I will probably buy the Synology DS2413+, which has 12 bays (biggest Qnap only has 8 as is more expensive), and I will then install 12 WD Red 3TB disks in it, which are 24/7 disks meant for NAS environments. The DS2413+ also gets very good reviews everywhere. You can even expand the DS2413+ with a DX1211, to have 24 bays, perhaps for the future

Then I can copy all my stuff back to it, and start collecting again

Extensive review can be found here: http://www.techspot.com/review/649-s...on-ds2413-nas/

Originally Posted by TechSpot:
With no real competition, the choice for those seeking maximum storage capacity in a NAS really need not look further than the DS2413+. As was the case with the DS2411+, we have found the DS2413+ to be an ideal solution for professional photographers, video editors and graphic designers who require massive amounts of storage out of the box with plenty of room to expand using Synology's add-on box.

Since reviewing the DS2411+, Synology has vastly improved its DiskStation Manager software -- and that’s saying something given how good version 3.1 was. Build 4.2 is more powerful than ever with support for all the latest technologies and features. It would be one thing to recommend the DS2413+ because of its unrivaled capacity, but we think it's one of the best quality NAS devices money can buy, in both hardware and software.

Score: 90/100

Pros: Plenty of storage and expandability, that's the number one reason to buy this NAS. Software is feature complete and accessible. Price is steep but reasonable given the competition.

Cons: We thought hard, the DS2413+ really is good.

[Reply]
Harrison 13:56 29th August 2013
Now that is a serious NAS. I've not seen a 12 bay desktop NAS before and it looks like a nice solution. I noticed it has 2 LAN ports.. does it support LAN bonding? This allows you to connect the NAS via both ports to a supporting Gbit Switch to double the speed of data transfer to and from the NAS for much improved speed when multiple clients are accessing it at once.

Just remember that QNAPs support and community is one of the best in the NAS world and Synology's is often commented as not being so good.

Have you also looked at the rack mount NASs available? You can get 12 and 24 bay ones and a small rack cabinet on wheel that could be hidden under a desk could be an alternative solution. The other advantages of rack mounted NASs is they often have a UPS built in and a redundant PSU.

What you going to do with the QNAP once you upgrade? Sell it? Or keep it as a secondary backup solution? I know it is overkill, but you can set them up to backup the most important directories to the second NAS.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up