Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: R.I.P. HP Pavilion dv1000
Submeg 02:17 23rd July 2011
Almost time to say goodbye to an old friend...my first laptop. Seven years is a long time! I may be able to salvage it, but I'm not getting my hopes up! Overheating, HD is saying it's getting read errors and it randomly shuts down when it feels like it. I've cleaned the fan, I'm going to check if I can clean the bearing of the fan, but I doubt it.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:09 23rd July 2011
Replacing a fan shouldn't be too hard. If it is overheating, dismantle it and clean everything inside, and remove the CPU heatsink and apply fresh thermal paste and then reseat it. Should fix it. Also if the HDD is playing up you can get cheap 2.5" laptop HDDs these days. A 320GB one for my wife's laptop was only about £35 last year.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 10:40 23rd July 2011
It may be saved, but if not goodbye and R.I.P. What are you considering as a replacement? Is it your main PC?

I still have my First laptop - Compaq Armada M700. It's a PIII-M 700Mhz with 384MB RAM and still works like a champ! Must be the most reliable laptop ever. I removed the main battery about a year ago and replaced it with an empty shell as it wasn't worth replacing. I use it as an upload/download torrent machine these days running XP and not much else. It can surf the web quite well - with Firefox and Flashblock installed.

Had a couple of other laptops, but the motherboards developed heating stress errors (cracked solder) and used to freeze when heating up. So then settled on a Netbook.
[Reply]
Submeg 01:18 24th July 2011
Ok update: First, I installed a program that was watching the temperature of the CPU and yes, it was overheating. I blew out all the dust, but was still doing it. I then pulled apart the laptop, and when I got to the fan, I pulled out enough fluff and cr@p that it was almost half a mouse! That's what happens in a 7 year old laptop!

I put it back together and now it's working fine! Laptop saved.

Now the next issue is this: When I shut the laptop down, it seems to have trouble. It will shut down, then it will turn itself back on?! I have to press and hold the power button to turn it off again, but even then some times it tries to turn back on? I have to take out the battery to kill it. Any ideas? I've updated the BIOS, as that may have been an issue. Will test now.
[Reply]
Submeg 06:34 24th July 2011
I thought this was all resolved, but it shut down on me again The CPU temperature is fluccatuating between 50 and 60 degrees C. Is this a normal operating range?
[Reply]
Submeg 13:10 24th July 2011
Ok, culprit is the harddrive. It is failing Need to get a new one.

HP Pavilion dv1000
Windows XP SP3
2 GB of RAM

service tag: dv1303ap
serial number: CNF5480LDT
product number: PY869PA#ABG

hardrive:
60 GB
IC25N060ATMR04-0 (from device manager)
2.5" IDE

How big can I get as a replacement drive?
[Reply]
Submeg 13:40 25th July 2011
I have found someone who has an 80 GB IDE drive! How can I go about cloning the drive so that I can just swap the drive?
[Reply]
Bloodwych 21:02 25th July 2011
You can try Drive Image XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Free and can be used from a boot CD or bootbale USB stick (check out BartPE): http://www.runtime.org/peb.htm

Or just go with the Ultimate Boot CD - it should have cloning software on it but I've never used it: http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

You'll need to store the image on an external USB hard drive though, or burn the image to DVD's. To be safe, I'd back up all your personal data files separate to the image too just in case something goes wrong writing the image back.

As for the largest hard drive you can use, I'd imagine you'll be fine with the largest laptop IDE drives you can find (320GB?).
[Reply]
Harrison 13:46 26th July 2011
320B is about as large as you will find for a laptop 2.5" IDE drive. You can get larger but they go up in price. Samsung make some nice drives at good prices.

There are loads of programs that let you clone an HDD. The commercial program Acronis True Image is the best, but if you want a free one try http://www.macrium.com/ they offer a commercial and free version, plus a 30 day trial of the commercial one which might be all you need.
[Reply]
Submeg 08:25 27th July 2011
So I was able to score a FREE 80 GB from an IT guy at work! My laptop now is in the hands of a guy at my dad's work who is gonna do the mirror for me!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up