Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Which PS3 games to get?
burns flipper 21:18 14th July 2011
I got a 160GB PS3 slim, boxed with all cables and instructions, the other day for £150. The guy had hardly used it, only used it for blu-ray, and he was selling it...to fund his retro games habit! His front room was filled with cartridges, and under the TV he had a Dreamcast, Saturn, Megadrive, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and on the floor he had a Super Famicom!

I bought it for playing blu-rays, but since it's there I may as well use it for some games.

I have some very specific requirements. I don't have much time for gaming, so I like to make my time count. No point playing something where you need to clock up 50+ hours before you start getting anywhere. I like story-led games, and below I will say the games I have played on other platforms which I enjoyed so you can suggest some which are very similar.

Genres: I enjoy adventures and some RPG, not into sports at all, or car racing, or killing things.

Mini Ninjas (Wii) - might just get the PS3 version. I liked that it was simple, incredibly pretty and had a really nice atmosphere. The cherry blossoms falling in a gentle breeze, paddling down the river searching for sacred shrines...just gorgeous!

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) and to a lesser extent the Wii Harvest Moon games - quite slow-paced, story led, I like the fact it was non-violent and you had the freedom to roam around and do what you want and do sub-quests.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES) - I like these RPG-type games. I'm not really into fast-paced stuff as I don't find that relaxing.

Avatar: The Legend of Aang (Wii) - I'm a big Avatar fan and really enjoyed this. I'd probably class this as like a realtime RPG - it had lots of optional side-quests, items to collect to enhance your parties stats, good story, and combat was easy enough for me. The theme was very good.

Time Hollow (DS), Another Code: R (Wii) - these were essentially visual novels which were both lots of fun.

The Settlers / Anno (PC/Wii) - I love the kingdom-building games.

Any graphic adventures like Monkey Island.

So that's exactly what I like...what are the PS3 versions of the above?
[Reply]
Harrison 01:33 15th July 2011
As you like adventures I highly recommend Uncharted: Drakes Fortune and its sequel. This is a brilliant action adventure game series with good story and scripting and it is enjoyable right from the start. One of the PS3 exclusives worth owning, and the first is fairly old now so should be pretty cheap to buy.

Heavy Rain is a must have adventure game. It's even compatible with the Move controller if you fancy getting one for some motion control. Great game too with very nice graphics and nice story.

There are also some decent RPGs on the system. Final Fantasy XIII has a great story and is enjoyable by any Final Fantasy fan if you have played any before. It is fairly long so as you said no games requiring 50+ hours you might be a little put off, but its story is interesting all the way through with loads of great cut scenes, intertwined stories and characters etc..

Other RPGs worth checking out include White Knight Chronicles, Valkyrie Chronicles, Star Ocean: the last hope, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms.

What else...

Little Big Planet? That's fun.
Mass Effect 1 and 2? Great action, adventure, RPG mixes in the same style as Knights of the Old Republic. Another of my favourite series of late.

Finally if you fancy something a little different give Red Dead Redemption a try. Think of it like GTA meets the wild west and you will understand what the game is. You are basically a horse riding cowboy for hire. Great fun.

Oh and have you ever liked the Metal Gear games? If so check out MGS4. Very nice game.

There are loads more good games for the PS3. We have been working on a full list of must have titles here: http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/...nded-PS3-games
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:38 15th July 2011
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Finally if you fancy something a little different give Red Dead Revolver a try.[/url]
Redemption.

I can only agree to Harrison's choice, and I also can recommend Red Dead Redemption a lot, thought I wouldn't like it in the beginning before I even played it, and I must say for me it was the game of 2010! Both thumbs up

Perhaps you should also try L.A. Noire if you didn't play it on the PC yet, until now I like it, and the game is more story driven and based than on action.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:02 15th July 2011
Corrected! So many games over time its easy to muddle them up.
[Reply]
Phantom 16:07 15th July 2011
Always trust RockStar Games (remember DMA Design on Amiga?): GTA IV, Episodes from Liberty City, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire..... they're just brilliant games with great gameplay.

All the others are coming second.
[Reply]
burns flipper 14:27 12th September 2011
Are there any city/empire/kingdom-building games? Like The Settlers or Anno - where you get to build up civilisations from scratch? I can't find anything.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:14 13th September 2011
There is Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, and it is meant to be a pretty good version. Not sure there is much else.
[Reply]
burns flipper 08:33 17th September 2011
Not really into the conflict stuff, it's more the 'creating a utopia' that I like.

I played the demo for From Dust last night, that was quite good.
[Reply]
burns flipper 15:18 4th October 2011
Turns out there's a Village Mode in Two Worlds II where you build a village. Now I just have to wait for the price to drop a bit

[Reply]
Harrison 16:21 4th October 2011
Sounds a bit like Dark Cloud, where you built a town and could then walk around it. Although hasn't the Sim City games done that too?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up