Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: NAS rebooting modem problem?
Demon Cleaner 00:38 10th July 2011
I have the strange feeling that my new NAS (LaCie 2big network 2) is doing something to my internet connection.

Yesterday I noticed whilst copying stuff onto it, that sometimes Windows showed me the message again "new ethernet disk found", and during that time the NAS was stopped.

Tonight when I was sitting at the PC, NAS was running, although in sleep mode, my internet connection went away like 3 times in 10 minutes, the modem was just rebooting. The NAS is connected directly to an ethernet port on the modem itself.

I powered now the NAS off, and now the connection is staying.

EDIT: I think that was a wrong alarm, it worked now for 20 minutes, NAS was off, but it rebooted again. I also unplugged now the cable. Perhaps the modem is too hot, or the ISP has some problems.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:40 10th July 2011
Network connection was now up for 20 hours again, NAS was off. Switched it back on now, and will see how it behaves.

EDIT: Well I just came to my PC now and it did it again, NAS is on.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:26 11th July 2011
Do you have a separate network switch you could try the device on? Connect the switch to the modem/router and then connect the NAS to the switch. This would rule out if the problem is with the modem/router or with the device itself.

I've had similar strange issues a few times in the past with a device causing the network to go down. In all cases it was a failing switch/router,or is PSU, where the extra data throughput of the device was causing overheating or the PSU to work harder than normal. Replacing the switch or router fixed the issue.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:30 11th July 2011
Yesterday after rebooting once (when I wrote into the forum), I was still 2 more hours on the PC with the NAS on, also copying stuff to it, and the connetcion stayed.

I noticed since some months that my modem has some problems holding the connection, I'm just not sure if it's the modem itself, or just my ISP. I have another new modem which I got with my DSL package, but changing to it would mean to change all my IP addresses, as my Fritzbox uses 192.168.178.... and the other one uses 192.168.1.... I have like 8 different devices with IPs connected, software linked to it, port forwarding and file sharing, I don't want to fiddle around and change everything manually now.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:31 11th July 2011
Btw, I consider buying a big NAS, and there's 3 candidates which are in my mind:

- Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus, seems to be good and also a fast NAS, comes for 1.099€ (with 6x2TB)
- QNAP TurboNAS TS-659 Pro+, seems to be very good too, although a lot pricier and less powerful than the others, would be 1.329€ (with 6x2TB)
- Thecus N7700+, which I think at the moment would be my first choice, it's 669€ (discless), but has 7 disk bays

Anyone some experience good/bad with these kind of NAS?
[Reply]
Harrison 23:03 11th July 2011
The Netgear ReadyNAS units have been getting some very good reviews in recent months. I friend has the 4 drive version and has been very happy with that running a RAID 5 setup. No problems to date with it either.

In long testing reviews/features I've read, whilst te QNAP NAS's have received good initial reviews, they can start to cause issues when a drive develops some bad sectors, and can lock up the client PCs access the NAS. In contrast the Netgear ReadyNAS has continued to handle faulty HDDs very well and handled the data by continuing to serve it from the other good drives until the faulty one was replaced. I would therefore recommend the Netgear based on what I've read so far.

There was a recent review of a couple of new business NAS units that were very good. I will dig those out and post what they were for you in the morning in case they were also something worth looking at.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 23:35 11th July 2011
What about the Thecus N7700+? Seems to be very good.

And I'm also struggling about which brand and model of HDDs I would use, as I read on some sites that several HDDs are not suited for Raid and fail after a short time. I want to use Raid 5.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:19 12th July 2011
You can get HDDs that are specifically designed for RAID use, but these are obviously more expensive because they are designed for heavy server use. I've heard some negatives about Samsung and Seagate when used for NAS which are my 2 favourite makes, so that doesn't help. Not sure really. Maybe WD are more recommended for this use? Will see if I have any information on this for you.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 02:31 12th July 2011
I read that WD disks tend to fail.

Btw, I could get the Netgear NAS at the shop where I always order for 1099€ with the disks already built in, and that would be 6 2TB Seagate Barracuda Green disks.

Still interested about the Thecus though, they have also a lot of pro stuff, I checked their site. Although I never heard about that brand before. Did you?
[Reply]
Harrison 11:21 12th July 2011
I have heard about Thecus. They have been getting more mention in recent business NAS reviews. I will post some more when i find the reviews for you.

The NetGear NAS with 6x 2TB drives for €1099 sounds pretty good. Although remember you can now buy standalone Seagate and Samsung 2TB drives for around £60 (€68), so 6 standalone drives would cost £360 (€408), so you would have to ask if the NAS device itself is worth the additional £609 (€691) on top of the drives real value?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up