Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: NAS rebooting modem problem?
Demon Cleaner 13:41 12th July 2011
The Netgear NAS (diskless) costs 729€, so they ask 370€ for the 6 disks, which is 61.50€/disk, quite the same than if I would order them seperately.

Today I just copied something to my NAS, and shortly after my modem again restarted twice, don't really know what the problem is. I don't also have the time to test this now, leaving the NAS on/off then see if it happens again. Tonight when I come home I will check the event log of my modem, then I will see if it restarted again or not, although you only see the last time it logged in, you don't see if it did it only once or 10 times.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:39 12th July 2011
If it does it again, do you have a separate network switch you could use to test it? I would create a small network with just one PC, a network switch and the NAS, and see how it acts on this small network just copying files between the NAS and PC. That should show if there is any issue directly with the NAS itself.

Also has anyone else online posted anything similar about this NAS causing these issues?

I'm personally still thinking it is an overheating or PSU issue with your current router/modem.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:17 12th July 2011
I was asking 2 people today who are in our networking division at work, and they both think it's probably the router and not the NAS. They suggested, as I still have another router, to test it with that one. They said I should just plug the router to a laptop, and change it's internal IP address to the same that my Fritzbox is using, so I wouldn't have to change IPs.

Anyway it would be time for a router upgrade, as mine is a bit old, and latest firmware is from 2007. They suggested me to get the Fritzbox 3370, as I don't need telephone support and that stuff.

One of the guys also has a Qnap NAS (the 559 model with 5 bays), and he's really happy with it and explained me a bit about it's qualities and why he wouldn't consider buying any other brand than Qnap. I was quite convinced after that, and I might now get the QNAP TurboNAS TS-659 Pro II, although a bit more expensive. But what are 300-400€ more on a long term when it comes to security/safety and such?

The Qnap also has SATA III and USB 3.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:58 13th July 2011
And against all my logical thoughts the Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDDs seem to be good for NAS and Raid 5 setup. Didn't have a Deskstar since over 10 years.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:41 13th July 2011
Hitachi drives have retained their bad reputation from the very old days when IBM produced them, but Hitachi drives do always seem to be popular in business systems so that has to say something for them these days.

A bad rep. can really hurt a company in the long term. I never bought another Deskstar HD after all the rumours of failure rates started appearing, but I must say that I've still got 2 Deskstar drives over 9 years old and they both still work fine.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:45 13th July 2011
Any thoughts about the QNAP I mentioned?

I could get it for 1420€ with 6 of the aforementioned Hitachi HDDs. I also mailed them, and they told me that they also test the drives if they're errorfree before mounting them into the NAS. They also said that the Hitachi drives prove successfully in a 24/7 environment.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:51 18th July 2011
I ordered the QNAP TurboNAS TS-659 Pro II now diskless, and I ordered 6 of the 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDDs.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:41 18th July 2011
I look forward to finding out what you think of it. Sorry I didn't post any more info before. I could find some good reviews about the more expensive QNAP rack mounted business NAS and SAN systems, but not for the 6 bay unit.

I may need to get myself a new NAS at some point soon as this is of great interest to me.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:47 19th July 2011
The disks got already shipped yesterday and the NAS today, this morning. Hopefully I will get everything still this week.

I also want to put my bigger ROM sets on it, plus all the PS3 games, which take a lot of space. But then I have again some internal disks free, but at least I will have a backup of it, as the bigger sets I have, don't hve a mirrored copy.

Will open a new thread once I get the NAS, and let you know how it is.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:42 19th July 2011
Great. Looking forward to finding out.

I am personally interested in a new NAS more for professional use than for rom collections, although I may end up using it for both if I can build one with enough space. Design photography and video work storage the main two, so the speed of data transfer over a Gigabit LAN for larger video files and ISO images is of interest, as well as the speed of transfer of many smaller 1-20MB jpg images.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up