Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: amiga 600 memory problem
mark443 22:29 22nd May 2011
Hi this is my first thread cant find an anwser two my problem what am trying two do is transfer adf files from my pc two my amiga 600 but fails saying the ram disk is full, the a600 is just the basic setup no extra ram,but i thought the a600 had 1mb of memory but it shows only 733640 free memory, I have an a500 that has 1meg of ram but that one can transfer adf files no problem,is there something wrong with my a600 or does it use more memory when booting from workbench, Kind Regards Mark
[Reply]
Harrison 15:07 23rd May 2011
Hi Mark,

That sounds about the right amount of ram being reported by Workbench. The OS uses up some ram to boot and run, plus remember that Chip ram is shared between the files currently running in memory and by the Amiga's chipset, especially the graphics display. If you reduce the number of colours being used and the resolution in Workbench to a lower number it will let you gain back some of the lost ram. Workbench 1.3 on your A500 would have been using slightly less ram than WB 2.04.

BTW, what method are you using to transfer your ADFs to the Amiga? Have you considered a PCMCIA to CF memory card adapter? you can copy ADFs to a PC FAT32 formatted CF memory card (up to 4GB in size) on the PC, then plug it into the PCMCIA slot on the A600 and convert the ADFs straight back to floppy disk. No need to worry about the Amiga's system ram to hold the ADF image and much easier than trying to copy them over using PC formatted floppies. If you are interested in this method let me know and I will go into more detail for you.
[Reply]
mark443 14:13 24th May 2011
Hi thank's for the reply i have got a 4gb cf hard drive for the A600 just waiting for rom 37.300 two come through the post as my 37.299 cant take hard drives or PCMCIA, am at the moment using a cable from pc two the Amiga 600

Kind Regards
Mark
[Reply]
Harrison 16:18 24th May 2011
You might still be disappointed because the 37.300 only supports up to 40MB harddrives. You would need the 37.350 rom to get full HD support. See here for full details.

However there has been mixed results with the 37.300 roms, with some people able to get larger HDDs working, and others having no luck. So it might be OK.

Indivision is also currently working on a new 1MB chip ram trapdoor expansion for the A600 called the A604. It is a revised version of the new sold out A603 they were previously making. It has been altered in shape so it will now have 2 clock ports, and the built in flicker fixer port has been reorientated so it will now be possible to keep the internet floppy drive in the A600 at the same time as fitting the ficker fixer, A604 and if wished also their ACA A630 accerator card.

With Indivisions recent hardware releases the A600 can now be expanded and upgraded to quite a beast of an ECS Amiga.

I would also recommend looking at the auto switching kickstart rom switcher Amigakit sell. I've got one in my A600 with kickstart 1.3 and 3.1 fitted, so I have maximum compatibility.
[Reply]
mark443 18:29 24th May 2011
Hi thank's for the information i got the 4gb cf drive from Amigakit they said it would work ok because they parttion in in three one for boot 500mb the other two 1.5gb they said that they had no problem with the 4gb cf drive from other customers, so keeping my fingers crossed,and thank's for the info about the memory upgrade sounds intresting

Kind Regards
Mark
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up