Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Playstation 3 RPGs
Harrison 14:24 24th February 2011
As with our long running and very large Playstation 2 RPG lists, this is a new one dedicated to Playstation 3 RPG releases.

Blue = must own titles.
ARPG = Action RPG
AA = Action Adventure
EXP = Game expansion
SRPG = Strategy RPG / Turn based.
MMO = online multiplayer (Massively Multiplayer Online RPG).

In development/not yet released

Japanese RPGs (no western release to date):

Please add/edit the list, or post updates below and I will add them in. Some games in development might now be released, so these will need double checking and moving to the top. Equally I might have included a couple in the main list that are not yet released.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:01 24th February 2011
Hyperdimension Neptunia was released some days ago. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzn9hKZan_M)

Front Mission Evolved is a pure mecha shooter, has nothing to do at all with any kind of role playing.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:13 24th February 2011
Hyperdimension Neptunia does look interesting. I've added it to the list. I'm assuming it is the same game as Neptune I had listed as Japan only, so I've removed that one.

Regarding Front Mission. I know the combat is realtime and not like the older Front mission turn based games, but the reviews all still place it into the RPG category, because outside of the combat arenas you still have an RPG. I've got this game but not played it yet. Will give it a go later and see for myself.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:47 24th February 2011
I played it to almost the end when it gets real tough. It's not bad, but gets quite tedious very fast. Only RPG part I could see, is the customization of your wanzer (mecha).
[Reply]
Sharingan 18:42 24th February 2011
Personally, I'd consider Valkyria Chronicles a must-own as well. Loved that game, and still one of my favourite (action)RPGs this gen.

Consider adding Folklore as well. It leans more toward the action adventure side, but there is a rudimentary leveling system in place for both the main characters and the collectible monsters, as well as HP and MP stats and differing monster strengths.

This gen has otherwise been pretty disappointing so far RPG-wise. I have far fonder memories of the RPGs in the PS1 and PS2 eras.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:42 24th February 2011
I agree with that. The PS1 really did enjoy a huge number of RPG releases, and the PS2 ended up seeing even more. There are still a lot of PS2 RPGs I have yet to play properly beyond just loading them up for a quick 1 hour test run to see what they are like, and a lot of PS1 games have been given a new lease of life thanks to the PS3 starting to offer them on PSStore downloads, and also PSP able to run them.

One game not yet released, which I'm really looking forward to is Steambot Chronicles 2. I really enjoyed the first game on the PS2, and if any of you haven't played it then it is worth tracking it down for a play.

I've also heard that Star Ocean is very good. I don't own it yet though so haven't seen it for myself, but I love the series; playing them all to date, and am looking forward to playing this latest one when i can.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:44 25th February 2011
I liked Steambot Chronicles, but only played it very shortly. Didn't know that there would be a sequel. Will it be for next gen?

I never played a Star Ocean game either, although I think that they are really good, love the setting. I have SO: The Last Hope for the 360, didn't play it yet though. I also still have to play Lost Odyssey, which is a 360 exclusive title.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:50 25th February 2011
The 360 definitely has seen its fair share of RPG exclusive releases and is a tempting reason to own one. But my thinking is that with the PS3 finally about to overtake the 360 in total sales, M$ will be forced to reduce the price again, then it will be a bargain to buy to enjoy the large back catalogue, with most games available very cheaply secondhand.
[Reply]
Ghost 02:20 1st March 2011
Fallout New Vegas is not Fallout 3: New Vegas.
I disapprove of that association.
[Reply]
Harrison 04:10 1st March 2011
OK, corrected.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up