Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: USB power question - please
Tiago 17:08 9th February 2011
Hi,

i would like to know how can i turn on and off a USB port.

My objective is to turn on a lamp/bulb.
The USB has 4 wires, i guess 2 for data ; 1 for + and 1 for -
so i can plug a small motor to make a switch click in a lamp/bulb by coneecting the + and - (pins 1 and 4 i think)

My problem is how to turn on/off the usb motor.
Windows have an option to usb power safe, so i guess it could turn off the usb and on again.... but all usb at the same time(?)

I know i could just unplug the usb, but i want to do it outside my home, like being at work connecting to my home PC (there is software for that) and turn on webcam and also a light in room.

anyone have an idea on how to do it? without any complicated circuits...
thanks
[Reply]
Harrison 21:45 9th February 2011
I think it would have to be a software controlled circuit board connected via USB. I don't think individual USB ports are controllable individually because the USB port needs to connect to a USB device so that the OS has a device driver to communicate with the device and its own interface.

Have a look at http://www.pc-control.co.uk/motorbee_info.htm for some ideas. They have loads of USB control modules and not too expensive.
[Reply]
J T 23:48 9th February 2011
Are you after a USB controlled relay?

Alternatively, a powered external hub with something else controlling the power (but then that's another layer of fiddling about).
[Reply]
Tiago 10:16 10th February 2011
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I think it would have to be a software controlled circuit board connected via USB. I don't think individual USB ports are controllable individually because the USB port needs to connect to a USB device so that the OS has a device driver to communicate with the device and its own interface.

Have a look at http://www.pc-control.co.uk/motorbee_info.htm for some ideas. They have loads of USB control modules and not too expensive.
That looks very interesting !!!
I will read more about it
thanks !!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up