Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: A600 Rom's
Andrew1971 08:44 29th December 2010
Hi All
i was reading on the wiki about rom versions and i have one of the early A600 that does not support pcmia slot or ide.So is worth getting a rom switcher. to switch between installed one and the 3.1 rom. So whitch workbench version
would i need.Also was thinking about the cd rom drive + cf hard drive together on same cable is that possible.
Many Thanks
Andrew
[Reply]
Phantom 12:11 29th December 2010
You can choose between 3.1 or even 3.9 if your A600 will be powerful enough.
[Reply]
Andrew1971 16:56 29th December 2010
Cheers Phantom i will look in to 3.9 rom
[Reply]
Phantom 11:30 30th December 2010
Actually I typed it wrong. I meant what AmigaOS you can use (3.1 or 3.9).

The ROMs are the same: 3.1 is the latest ROMs you can find.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:04 30th December 2010
If you are thinking about getting a rom switcher then the best combination of roms for your A600 would be 1.3 and 3.1. Kickstart 3.1 would allow you to install Workbecnh 3.1 or newer on the HD/CF and enjoy the newer OS. And the 1.3 rom would give you good compatibility for very old A500 games that won't run on the newer kickstart versions. You can buy a very good rom switcher for the A600 from Amigakit. I'm using it in my A600 and it works perfectly. It's also auto switching so no external switches needed on the case. You just hold down the reset keys for 5 seconds to switch it to the other rom. Easy and simple.
[Reply]
Andrew1971 15:56 30th December 2010
Hi i tempted getting the rom switcher. Being on a limited budget upgrades are going to take longer now.
my birthday is soon late feb wonder what i get
Phantom probably get go for classic workbench
Many Thanks
Andrew
[Reply]
Harrison 02:19 31st December 2010
ClassicWB is definitely the best think to install on the HD, combined with Kickstart 3.1. You probably wouldn't ever need another rom because if you then used WHDLoad it emulates kickstart 1.3 to run older games anyway, so most should run. You would however need at least 2MB fast ram using a PCMCIA SRAM card to make WHDLoad work for a lot of the games when loading from HDD.
[Reply]
Andrew1971 12:05 31st December 2010
Hi Harrison
That would make it cheaper having just one rom, then go for cf hard drive i didn't know WHDLoad downgrade to make software to run thats good.
Yes ClassicWB is what i am going to install.PCMCIA SRAM card would next on the list. where do you get them from?
Many Thanks
Andrew
[Reply]
Harrison 17:47 31st December 2010
They are not that common, but if you keep looking on ebay they pop up from time to time. The A600/A1200 PCMCIA port only supports 16bit PCMCIA cards, so make sure of that when looking. The A600 can use 2MB and 4MB SRAM PCMCIA 16bit cards. They were quite common on PC laptops at the time for storing files, as they can be used as ram or storage.

I think I got my 2MB card for under £10 a couple of years ago.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up