Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: First CFW released for PS3
Demon Cleaner 13:31 22nd December 2010
Some days ago a custom firmware was released for the PS3. You can read further here. I won't take the risk yet, although this might get quite tempting and interesting for the future.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:25 22nd December 2010
This is brilliant news. I knew it would happen eventually, and I'm wondering if DarkAleX is behind this first PS3 CFW, because he recently left the PSP scene to concentrate on something new.

This signifies a new beginning for the PS3 because finally creating CFW means homebrew and emulation is now fully possible and on a proper hardware level. It could also enable the hackers to put PS2 emulation back into the firmware... this was something again seen in the PSP CFW scene, where missing things in newer firmwares were added back in with the custom firmware versions by the installer access both the current official firmware and an older one to combine their code and create a unique hybrid CFW.

Definitely not worth doing this to your own PS3 yet as it is still very new. When CFW was new on the PSP many people ended up with bricked consoles, so is worth waiting until it is a little more mature. Also worth waiting until they are level with current official firmware because this is based on 3.41 and the current official is 3.50.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:05 22nd December 2010
I'm still waiting for a jailbreak for firmwares higher than 3.41, because the later released games won't work anymore, although there's 3.50 spoofs. But I have to say that the "older" games work all like a charm, I already have about 90 games downloaded, not even counting the PSN games.
[Reply]
Phantom 12:29 29th December 2010
I will not bother this time. I'll leave my PS3 as it is. Games are cheap (not in Greece, but from UK) so I don't have a really good reason for custom firmwares (yet).
[Reply]
Tiago 15:36 17th January 2011
anyone did the crack yet?
[Reply]
Harrison 16:12 17th January 2011
No, is way too early. Jailbreak is still an option as ling as your PS3 isn't at the most recent update.

There is also the issue the Sony are now hunting those who hacked the firmware and trying to bring a court case against them.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up